Re: Combatting the "trader tummy"

I really don't have any advice for the trading day, except that during lulls, if I feel like it, I do regular push ups, Hindu push ups and / or Hindu squats. Yeah, Hindu push ups and squats looks weird doing it but it works. I have my own office and I keep the lights off, so the guys in the outer office don't really know what's going on in here. They've actually made bets on whether or not I'm sleeping in here. :-)

If it's sunny outside and there's enough daylight or I feel like skipping a day of work (as everything is pretty much automated) or leaving early, I ride my bike and do Tabata Intervals. If it's not, I hit the gym and do 5x5 on bench presses, military presses, dips, bent over rows, dead lifts, squats, lats, standing arm curls and sit ups, in no particular order, using free weights and not machines. Doing 5 sets of 5 repetitions at 60 - 90% of max weight allows the body to do some work yet not over stress it and prevents over training.

If you want to lose weight real fast but only take 4 minutes a day, do Tabata Intervals. Yes, that's right, 4 minutes a day (actually, you'll need more than take to warm up and cool down - the 4 minutes a day refers to the actual time spent on the real work.). That's 20 seconds at max work (sprinting, intervals, push ups, Hindu squats, burpees, whatever suits you) then 10 seconds at rest / recovery. Then do it 7 more times. That's 4 minutes. That's 20 seconds at MAXIMUM work. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time. And it will hurt, badly, when you first start out. But you'll drop weight in no time (ideally, from Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption, and not from throwing up - though that might happen.). Just don't eat anything immediately before you do it.

Eat clean : as close to it being fresh as possible. Nothing from a box or a bag (cereal, process food, pizza, microwave dinners, Weight Watchers, pasta, chips, etc.). Ideally, when you go shopping in the supermarket, try to get food from the outer perimeter of the store - veggies, fish, meat and eggs (in that order), as well as regular milk (none of the reduced or 1% fat crap). I don't know how things are in the UK anymore, but in the US, the outside of the supermarkets has the perishables while the inside has the nonperishables, process stuff. Avoid anything with enriched flours, especially pasta, rice and maybe bread. They're high glycemic index food. If you must have bread, get real whole wheat / whole grain bread (when I buy bread, the bread I buy is made by the monks from a local monastery out of natural whole wheat.). Avoid anything that leads to or made from sugar, especially sodas and candy. Eat nuts instead of candy.

Only supplements I use are fish oil and Vitamin C. If you must go to a GNC type store to get them, avoid the whey protein, muscle milk, L Carnitine, etc. crap they'll try to sell you ( I get my fish oil from GNC as they've filtered out the mercury and lead you might find in other stores' fish oil and it's readily available in higher dosage. :-) ).

Here's a couple of links you might find interesting:

http://www.rossboxing.com/

http://www.t-nation.com/

Justin T Fanning wrote:
Could I pose a question to the list if it's of interest ... How do others deal with the trader tummy? That being trading isn't exactly the most energetic of activities, combined with moderate bursts of stress & frequent long hours, I often find myself grabbing a hand full of biscuits / chips / nuts etc and heading back to the screen, especially if it's late at night and the noise of making a proper meal would be inappropriate.