Re: Why is omega list so dead and related questions.

Actually, why don't I contribute this story rather then get so caught up on keeping me emails short (super short).

I think most can tell the difference between (someone sending promos of their products to this list) and (a user of TS who has had experience with other products as well and on occasion sharing their knowledge of the differences). The later is good for the TS users on this list and my story is a perfect example.

As stated in my first email I used TS4.0 EOD back in 1998. I left my job to try daytrading and ended up with Qcharts. I always wanted TS but felt I was not good enough to afford it. So eventually I outgrew Qcharts and got an idea that I figured TS might be able to do since I knew it could place text on the chart. I asked if TS could do it on this list and I think Mark said yes. Someone else said MC could likely do it. Unfortunately there was another reason making me hesitant to use TS. It was because they did not offer one of the two futures contracts I traded. It turned out MC could take my brokers feed and I checked it out and it was perfect for what I needed and indeed could do what I thought TS could do. I had no idea before that email that MC even existed actually. So over a few months I discover this recalculation command that MC had which is great for many things in my trading strategy. I then try the new version of MC beta and it needs lots of fixing yet. So I email the omega-list to see if TS has the recalculation command. I am thinking maybe I could trade the one contract with TS on one computer and the other contract with MC on another computer using a keyboard switch. As a result of this email someone else learns about this command and realizes they wish TS had this command. So we email a bit and they decide to open a thread on the omega forum asking for it on TS. So what I am saying is by not censoring the discussion of the features of other products it helps the TS users. Obviously not all the great ideas are going to come from the Omega-Research group. But for sure the users do not benefit from all sorts of sales hype coming in where these people have a profit motive that often leads them to stretch the truth and waste peoples time.

So now that I have shared my story I think the readers will know why I asked my question below. If it is not clear then let me make it so. The omega-list is very valuable in my opinion and it is unfortunate to see it fade out so much. I think that new users are just not being made aware of it. I think the reason is most likely the reason I stated regarding the Qcharts forum experience I had. Users hear of a product, are directed to the company forum and if they are not web wise enough or motivated enough to dig and find email groups or forums that are private they never know what is out there. But hay. What more could one expect from a company sponsored forum. Its obvious. So the question remains. Since the omega list is dying 1/ can it be revived and if not 2/ is there a private replacement.

John.

Jimmy Snowden wrote:

John,

I don't think there has ever been any censorship on this list.  The
Omega-List has no connection to Omega or Tradestation.  Jim Osborne
is the administrator and I believe he put the list up and maintains
it all by himself.  He is just one of us.  The Omega salesman that I
got TS4 from mentioned the list to me in a very arms length but
helpful manner.

We are not supposed to sell our fantastic system on the list or
anything else but in response to some posters need we can mention
products that will address the need.  Let me just quote the Etiquette
part of the email I received only nine years and one month ago from
the Omega-List

"Etiquette
---------
This list is for the discussion of issues important to professional
traders, people who earn their living trading in the financial
markets.  It was started as a forum for the ad hoc support of users,
by users, of Omega Research Corporation's Tradestation software.
Later, users of Supercharts and System Writer joined the fray.
Please note, though, that Omega Research has no official connection
with the list, and neither approves nor sponsors the content.
Occasionally a member of the Omega team may listen in, and perhaps
contribute, but not in any official capacity.

Although the list was started with an Omega support function in mind,
list members frequently discuss other, non-Omega related trading
topic.  Any subject is welcome, as long as it is pertains directly to
serious trading.

Please respect the time and intelligence of the list's
readers--people who may know more than many of us, and who don't have
time for political discussion or personal attacks.  The quality of
answers we all receive to our questions depends on our not driving
away these knowledgeable readers with noise."

Sorry if there are any typos or errors but that does sum up the
essence of the list.  I guess we used too much noise and drove away
the better readers or perhaps we all have no problems anymore.

Jimmy

Hi,

I remember when 30+ messages a day was standard for this list back in 1998 when I was actually using TS 4.0 EOD. Where do the TS traders hang out now? Is it the Omega Research forum? Is it Elite trader? And is it not sometimes better to have a list outside of the company product forum list so other products can be talked about without censorship? As an example when I was on Qcharts I actually had mention of MultiCharts removed from one of my esignal/Qcharts forum threads because the administrator can do this. Is this what Elite Trader is for?(to eliminate this censorship).

John.