Re: Why is omega list so dead and related questions.

At 04:05 PM 4/13/2008, John Bowles wrote:

>So the question remains. Since the omega list is dying 1/ can it be revived and if not 2/ is there a private replacement.

I recall the "good ol' days"...

A lot of the posts were by people asking how to do things. Since Omega had almost no training aids, the only way to learn how to program things was to ask on the list. They now have pretty good reference and training guides so this is less of an issue.

And there were always lots of issues about finding and managing data, getting fill-in data you missed, etc. They now have data-on-demand so that issue is gone.

And there were issues about calculation accuracy with the 32-bit floating point and code size problems with the 64K limit, issues with the four-plot limit, etc. Those are now gone.

And the TradeStation forums, as cumbersome as they are, do now answer a lot of questions and provide some FAQs.

And their customer support was non-existent so to get any help, you needed to ask the list. Their old business model of "take your money up front and hope that you go away" has now changed so that they get revenue only if you keep paying the monthly fees. Needless to say, they did figure out that keeping the fees coming in required happy customers which required a decent level of customer support. It now is quite good.

So I don't think the list is dying. I think that there is just less to talk about...

Bob Fulks