Re: Defragging Win NT (Was: How to get TS2k to run well (was 2K for sale)}

> For any Win NT user, Diskeeper Lite sounds well needed and a true
> bargain.

I also downloaded DK Lite a few days ago, and I'm not quite as
impressed.

I ran it on my C drive (NTFS) which was fairly heavily fragmented.
It's 70% full (3GB out of 4.3), so there is 1.3GB free on it, and
there was a single contiguous 250MB free space on it due to moving my
VM swap space to the D drive just before running DK Lite.

Any decent defragger I've ever seen would have been able to
completely defrag this disk and create large free spaces.  DKlite had
plenty of free space to work with, including the large contiguous
piece.  But DK Lite couldn't fully defrag it, even after 7
consecutive defrags!!  Furthermore, the first defrag, instead of
consolidating fragmented files in the large free space, splattered
the free space all over the disk and left many fragmented files
behind.

More troublesome, the information from the program was inconsistent.
DK Lite has an "Analyze" mode and a "Defrag" mode.  Both report the
number of fragmented files and the number of "excess fragments."
Here are the results of running many A's and D's:

   FragFiles   ExcessFrags