RE: Defragging Win NT (Was: How to get TS2k to run well (was 2K for sale)}

I am using Diskeeper 5 now and have used DK 4 for the past 3 months.  I
bought the full version for about 45.  DK5 is free to DK4 users and can be
downloaded off DK website.  DK5 works on Win95/98 as well as NT.  The
interface is somewhat different but basically its the same as DK4.
I had the same experience as Gary when I first used DK but things get better
with time.  I have a PII450, 256mb with NT4 on C drive, Ts2k on D drive,
both NTFS.  My computer runs 24/7 except for weekend reboot, defrag and data
backup.  DK would not initially fully defrag drive C or D until I used the
boot time directory consolidation feature a couple of times.  Still had fair
amount of fragmentation even after that.  Repeated manual defrags did not
help much.  Cure was Set and Forget feature.  I sceduled DK to defrag drive
C continuously from 8pm to 12midnight every day and it defrags drive D
continuously from 12 midnight to 6 am every day.  AFter a few days both
drives had very low fragmentation.  On Sat when Ts2k is closed out I
manually run DK.  It defrags drive C to almost perfection, maybe 3-6 file
fragments.  This amounts to zero fragmentation as a practical matter.  Drive
D which is where Ts2k lives defrags completely every time.
I dont know whether the defraging helps with stability but it sure makes
Ts2k respond faster. New charts that read data off the hard drive snap up
much faster.  Overall Ts2k definitely runs faster.
I did an absolutely clean install of NT4 SP4 and Ts2k SP2b on a freshly
formatted hard drive about 10 weeks ago.  I used to crash GS many times per
week and charting once in a while.  Now charting never crashes and I have
less than one crash per week by GS.  Still sucks but way better than before
the clean install.  I started using DK at the same time so I cant isolate
any effect from that alone.
As to defraggers in general it isnt how pretty they make your harddisk look
on the graphic display in the program, its how fast your software runs.
>From reading stuff on internet and from Microsofts decision to incorporate
DK into Win2k I would say it is a superior tool.  Generally I feel utility
software is more hype than real benefit.  But I would say from my experience
that DK is well worth using.
Bill Wood