Defragging Win NT (Was: How to get TS2k to run well (was 2K for sale)}

Dear Group,

I am running TS 4.0 bld 23 on a P233 with Win NT 4.0 SP 3 --- this is not my main
TS machine, as I use this computer mainly for dedicated Internet access,
primarily the LOS Squawkbox.  By the way, I upgraded from bld 21 to bld 23 a week
ago, and the upgrade worked flawlessly.  Furthermore, I have been running TS 4.0
bld 21 on this machine for over a year now, and I don't remember having a single
crash.  I initially loaded Win 98 followed by TS 4.0 bld 21 on this machine and
was unable to go a single day without a crash.  After a week of that, I
reformatted my harddrive and installed Win NT and TS, and I don't recall it
crashing since.

As a result of reading this thread, I found the Diskeeper website, and on it was
a free download of Diskeeper 4.0 Lite

http://www.execsoft.com/dklite/download.htm

I downloaded and ran it.  It first analyses the amount of disk fragmentation, in
both the C (DOS) and D (NT) drives, and thereafter defragments them.  It found
that my C drive was slightly, but my D drive was heavily, defragmented, the
latter so much so that it said that the fragmentation would necessarily cause
substantial slowing of my computer analysis.  (I have never before defragmented
this computer, which is a little over a year old.)  Both the download and the
analysis/defragmentation went flawlessly.  I recommend the program.

The Lite version is free.  The full version I ran a price check on and found that
it was selling at discount on the Internet for around $40.  As much as I can
determine, the only advantage for me for the full version is that is can do a
defragmentation automatically at a user-determined, pre-set time (as Ullrich
indicates below) --- the Lite version defragments only manually.  For $40, I
figured I will defragment after the close of the markets on Friday afternoon.

For any Win NT user, Diskeeper Lite sounds well needed and a true bargain.

Sincerely,

Richard