RE: Oddball and the Emperor's New Clothes

Brian,

you wrote:
> I get robust results optimizing over the largest set of data
> possible.  I'd
> say back to inception of the S+P is a robust optimization.

I agree with the principle of having a large in-sample period but optimizing
against it all is not good for robustness. Let us apply the generality to
the specific of OddBall with Walk-forward testing and principles of
robustness.

If you go back to the inception of the S&P and optimize the system variable
until **1996**, and THEN run the system from 1997 through the present, I
might consider that to be a *generalized* robustness test. Running
parameters from the inception of the S&P until the *present* is promising
but is not a guarantee of robustness. You will tend to pick the best figures
and the system may fall apart going forward. For instance, when I run
OddBall parameter optimization of 5,3,1, it only returned $3,000 for
2001-present as compared with my gleeful figures for 7,3,1. The difference
between 5-3-1 and 7-3-1 is only two numeric places. Specifically, what
market inefficiency are you trying to capture with the difference of two ( 5
and 7 ) on the length of the rate of change? I do not know. Do you? When I
optimize the rate of change length (the "7" in 7,3,1), I do not see a bell
curve. Instead, I see the 7 as near a steep decline. This is a robustness
issue, the ability to make profits over a wide range of variables. If market
conditions change, how are you going to protect yourself with a cliff only
two numeric places away? I really want to know.

Are you going to periodically reoptimize to solve this "problem"? If so,
then you may wish to walk-forward precisely with THAT kind of testing. In
other words, start with the S&P from inception and optimize on three years
of data and run it against the next year's out-of-sample data. Then divide
your ACTUAL profits with your PROJECTED profits and you will get your
Walk-Forward Efficiency (WFE) ratio. If you have a WFE ratio of 50% by the
time you get to the present, I will more inclined to say that the system is
robust and willing to put money in it. Going forward into the future, I can
roughly expect that the system will return 50% of my optimized results.
However, optimizing against ALL past data and blindly walking forward
exposes the system to breaking down and loss of money.

A question for you: What do you think about the fact that the profits vary
so widely from 5,3,1 to 7,3,1? Perhaps a prudent step to take would be to
move the "7" away from the "5" a little more. Maybe a "9,3,1" is more in the
center of the bell curve and safer, albeit with less profits.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams