RE: Oddball and the Emperor's New Clothes

I don't think many will argue that optimization has utility weather applied
to odd ball or anything else.  Like any tool, it can be harmful in the wrong
hands and useful in the right hands.  Any indiciator that requires lentgh
inputs (MAs, STOCH, ROC, pretty much most out there) uses some number along
the curve of optimized numbers.  So any selected number will be an
"optimized number" or some number along the curve.  If you plan to use a
system like this, which many people do succesfully, then you should optimize
to at least see where along the curve your default value lies and if there
are better "default' values.  As you pointed out some numbers are more
stable than others and optimum numbers can change over time.  The only two
ways around this problem I know of are to use a value that has broad
stability or uses an adapative input based on some other market indicator.
The easiest to recognize is one with broad stability.  If you're looking for
a number with stability than doesn't it make sense to choose the largest
sample possible?  Afterall the larger your sample is, the more accurate your
estmation will be.  But just going from experience, I've done it both ways
over and over and I always seem to get the best results using optimized
values over longer terms.  I've never been able to get weekly or frequent
optimzations to work for me consistently.  That's not to say it can't be
done because others have reported success.  I have had better results
optimizing across a "large" set of data (enough data to generate say 100-300
or more trades) and then sticking with that value.  Once I choose a number
then I walk it forward and back.  If the system holds up then I feel
comfortable trading it.

I try to keep things as simple as possible. I also find that the optimzation
curve can give a clue about how well your system will do.  If your system
generates an optimization curve that approximates a bell shape then those
optimum numbers will probably hold up well over time.  A system that starts
real profitable with small numbers and then deteriorates from that point
will probably not be as profitable.  Not only because it will be harder to
trade with smaller inputs and more frequent trades (more mistakes, slippage,
commission, etc) but also those numbers are inherently unstable with no
support on either side.

Brian.