Re: Explorer Results as Input to Subsequent Explorations

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content='"Trident 4.71.0544.0"' name=GENERATOR>

</HEAD>
<BODY><FONT face=Arial size=2>
<P>I like these comments. Any reply from MS developer? When they plan to adopt
into new MS?</P>

<P>At the moment I plan to upgrade my 6.00 to 6.5.

<P>6.0 is great , I love it, easier my job.

<P>Should I wait until next version, or upgrade it now.

<P>Thank and

<P>Rgds.

<P>h.azh</P>
 ----<BR>
<B>From: </B>Chip Anderson &lt;chipa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>
<B>To: </B>'David_Radtke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'; metastock-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Wednesday, October 15, 1997 12:48 AM<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>RE: Explorer Results as Input to Subsequent Explorations<BR>
<BR>
<HTML><BODY><FONT size=2>| What you want to do makes perfect sense, and I think
is a major oversight<BR>
| in Meta Stock to have left this feature out. Unfortunately the downfall<BR>
of<BR>
| most software applications that involve Trading is that they are<BR>
developed<BR>
| by people with expertise in Software Development not Trading!<BR>
<BR>
Here, here!!&nbsp; After using MS 6.0 and 6.5 for a couple of months now, it
is<BR>
_very_ obvious that Equis has not done any Useability testing on the<BR>
product with real-world technicians.&nbsp; I guess they assumed that by<BR>
emulating MS Office, they wouldn't need to Useability test it - wrong!<BR>
<BR>
Examples (off the top of my head):<BR>
<BR>
1. Almost impossible to create indicators that work on more than 1 price.<BR>
You have to create a composite file in the Downloader - lame!&nbsp; Even
there<BR>
you are limited to combining just 2 prices and using simple arithmetic<BR>
operators.&nbsp; Try creating a chart of your portfolio - if you have more
than<BR>
1 stock in it, you're in for a really hard time.<BR>
<BR>
2. Downloader doesn't interact with MS Excel.<BR>
In theory, using MS Excel is a great way to get around the problem above.<BR>
But the Downloader doesn't update your Excel files, so you must update<BR>
them manually every night (yuck) or create very complicated and fragile<BR>
macros to update things for you (double yuck).<BR>
<BR>
3. Doesn't save the width of your charts.<BR>
I am constantly rescaling my charts each time I load them.&nbsp; This is<BR>
inexcusable!&nbsp; When I save a chart and then reload it, I expect to see
the<BR>
same thing!<BR>
<BR>
4. Notes on charts don't scale when you zoom in or out.<BR>
Combine this fact with #3 above and you can forget about having nicely<BR>
maintained annotated charts.<BR>
<BR>
5. Having Trend Lines and Chart Notes disappear when you switch from Daily<BR>
to Weekly mode.<BR>
Lame, lame, lame!<BR>
<BR>
6. Applying a template creates a whole new chart.<BR>
That is plain wrong.&nbsp; Apply the template to the current chart.<BR>
<BR>
7. If you print in black and white, your chart GIFs are stored in black and<BR>
white.<BR>
Like there is a correlation between people with B/W printers (everyone)<BR>
and people with B/W web sites (no one!).&nbsp; (I admit that this one is kind
of<BR>
minor, but it is a great example of lack of useability testing.)<BR>
<BR>
8. Volume bars can't change color for up/down days.<BR>
Hello?&nbsp; This is critical for visual volume trend analysis.<BR>
<BR>
9. No vertical scrollbars or chart windows<BR>
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!<BR>
<BR>
10. Saving charts does not save custom vertical axis settings.<BR>
(See comment for #9)<BR>
<BR>
=================<BR>
<BR>
In addition to fixing the things above, here's are some suggested<BR>
improvements:<BR>
<BR>
1. Always show the Profit/Loss of any buy/sell arrows on my chart<BR>
2. Allow me to &quot;manually&quot; set buy/sell points on my chart<BR>
3. Create &quot;palettes&quot; of colors that I can apply to an existing
chart.<BR>
4. Indicator functions should understand &quot;default&quot; parameters so I
don't<BR>
have to constantly look them up.<BR>
5. Auto-draw trendlines and Support/Resistance Levels<BR>
6. Allow me to create indicators with parameters that I can a.) set in the<BR>
properties dialoag and b.) optimize in the system tester.<BR>
7. Allow me to create indicators that are visually composed of several<BR>
other indicators (kinda like MACD's 2 lines)<BR>
8. Make it trivially easy to compare the relative strength of one or more<BR>
securities/indicators.<BR>
<BR>
=================<BR>
<BR>
The above may make you think I hate the product - that's not true.&nbsp; I
use<BR>
it constantly and find it of great value.&nbsp; Like anything I use alot
though,<BR>
its faults get magnified in my mind.&nbsp; MS 6.5 is great in so many areas
that<BR>
these seemingly minor things really detract from my overall experience and<BR>
make me question if it was useability tested at all.<BR>
<BR>
Please take my ramblings as the constructive criticism they are meant to<BR>
be.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
Chip<BR>