RE: Explorer Results as Input to Subsequent Explorations

  • To: "'Don Gilley'" <wak8@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Explorer Results as Input to Subsequent Explorations
  • From: Chip Anderson <chipa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for suggesting the use of the semi-colon to plot several different
lines inside of one custom indicator Don.  However this well-documented
feature does not really address the problem I was trying to describe.  In
fact, it is another good example of my larger point - that additional
useability testing would greatly improve Metastock.

As an experienced software designer, I'm sure that useability testing would
demonstrate the significant difference between the built-in MACD indicator
and a custom indicator created using the semi-colon technique you
described.  The built-in indicator is composed of two lines with
_different_ styles (three if you count the horizontal blue line). The MACD
created with the semi-colon technique just plots two indentical looking red
lines.

For someone doing visual analysis of cross-over signals and divergences,
this is a big problem.  Sure I can go in and change the lines by hand each
time I use my indicator, but why should I have to?

(If my example is still not clear, drop the built in MACD indicator and the
DEMA-smoothed MACD indicator on the same price chart.  Notice the
horizontal blue line and the "Style" option that the MACD indicator has are
missing from the DEMA version because the DEMA version was built as a
custom indicator using the semi-colon technique.  IMHO the DEMA plot is
useless until you manually modify the style of the signal line.)

As for my larger point: If, as I suspect, Equis is not performing enough
useability tests, then it is vitally important that groups like this
mailing list provide them with as much feedback as possible.  I am
confident that the MS developers follow this group closely and take its
suggestions seriously.  By forwarding my suggestions to this group in
addition to Equis, I had hoped to widen the discussion so that better
solutions can be added to the product.

Chip

On Tuesday, October 14, 1997 1:48 PM, Don Gilley [SMTP:wak8@xxxxxxxx]
wrote:
| You need to calm down before you fire off emails next time.  You didn't
| offend me, and I really don't care however I think this one hurt your
| creditbility.  First of all on you list of suggestions to Equis.  Your #
| 7 on the list can be done with MetaStock 6.5.  Is this what you wanted
| something like this mov(C,12,E)-mov(C,26,E);Mov(
| mov(C,12,E)-mov(C,26,E),9,E).  This will plot two moving averages just
| like the MACD.
|

| On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 11:10:02 -0700 Chip Anderson <chipa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| writes:

<snip>

>	7. Allow me to create indicators that are visually composed of
>several
>other indicators (kinda like MACD's 2 lines)

<snip>