Re: Explorer Results as Input to Subsequent Explorations

Thanks for your message at 10:01 AM 10/14/97 -0700,
David_Radtke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Your message was:

>What you want to do makes perfect sense, and I think is a major oversight
>in Meta Stock to have left this feature out. Unfortunately the downfall of
>most software applications that involve Trading is that they are developed
>by people with expertise in Software Development not Trading!
>
>The only way I have been able to accomplish what you are describing is to
>create an ASCII text file of securities from the Exploration, and then use
>the Downloader to import them into a separate directory. You can then use
>the new directory for the next exploration. This process is time consuming,
>but here's how it's done:
>
>Once you have your first exploration displayed, press Cntrl -C to copy the
>contents to the clip board.  [make sure you explorer window is the active
>window]
>
>Then, open Excel and paste the contents. Delete all of the columns except
>for the security symbols.
>
>Create a row of dummy Date, O,H,L,C,V,OI data for the security symbols.
>Using 0's for the price data works fine. [Double check the manual for the
>proper format of the ASCII input file.] Save the file and use the
>Downloaders import feature.
>
>Last,  you have to download the data for the new symbols.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>David Radtke

Dave,
	So far the only thing as astounding as the MetaStock program are the
glaring omissions. It is incredible to have so much right and so much wrong
all at once.
	I shall take your advice and develop some Excel Macros to speed things along.
	Your last point? Is that correct? I thought that if I make an ASCII file
of those securities that pass the first exploration, then won't the
Downloader allow me to merge the already collected price data without the
need for a subsequent download. N'est-ce pas?

George Gordon
lrdbyron@xxxxxxxxxx