Re: Equis noncooperation with data vendors

On Thu, 3 Jul 97 14:47 BST-1, you wrote:

>MetaStock,
>
>No worries.  Will do.  But the reason why I keep harping on about this
>episode is the fact that your company never admit to making any
>mistakes.  Sure this wasn't a mistake as such, but it made a great
>illustration.  :)
>
>I have had a lot of bugs before with MetaStock and each time I have
>reported it I get the same age-old reply that the fault is with
>everything else but *never* with Equis software.  For example, the
>Downloader bug which I told you of in version 5.0 of MetaStock was
>utterly denied but was 'fixed' in version 5.11 of MetaStock.
>
>With this 5-2+1=2 situation your technical support initially told us
>that the fault lay with our computer hardware and it was nothing to do
>with MetaStock.
>
>My big complaint with Equis is their lack of humility.  All I ask is
>that when bugs are found, as they will be, that they be acknowledged so
>that we, the customers, know about them and not waste hundreds of
>man/hours trying to work out what is going wrong.  If I were to have
>conformation of the import bug in 5.0 then it would have saved me a lot
>of time and money.
>
>I am not asking for much; I am only asking for some form of reality in
>the statements received from Technical Support.  I do not want to be
>told to reinstall my video driver, my operating system or, even, my
>BIOS because I have found a bug with MetaStock.
>
>I'll make a deal; you lot start acknowledging any bugs that appear (I'm
>a software writer; I'm guilty of making them too) and I'll stop posting
>about strange arithmetic parsing situations.  Fair enough?
>
>Other than that I have few serious problems with MetaStock.  One of the
>reasons why I shout so loudly is, like the man on terraces, he's the
>first to yell abuse at his favourite team when they concede another
>soft own-goal.
>
>I have a small list of things that could be improved with MetaStock and
>they are:
>
> - Better internal database system.  The EMASTER and XMASTER
>   stuff scares the pants off me.
> - Release the much promised API for developers.
> - Speed up the Downloader import.
> - Data management tools.
>

>But despite my yelling I am still a keen supporter of the program and I
>have lost count of the number of sales that I have generated for your
>company.
>
>Love-Hate?  Perhaps so; but it's more fun than being a syncophantic
>supporter isn't it?
>
>Best wishes for the future,
> Malc
>

>Malcolm Smith, Dragon Drop Limited
> http://www3.mistral.co.uk/dragondrop/

Hi Malc....

I've followed your threads on C'Serve, and I must stand behind you on
this very well expressed opinion on Equis' position.

I too, have spent many, not hours, but days!, trying to fix a problem,
that was actually a bug in the program.

It reminds me of the Ashton-Tate (the old dBase) scenario, when a bug
was called an 'anomaly' !!!!

Cute.....

-= Chris =-