RE: Equis noncooperation with data vendors

MetaStock,

No worries.  Will do.  But the reason why I keep harping on about this
episode is the fact that your company never admit to making any
mistakes.  Sure this wasn't a mistake as such, but it made a great
illustration.  :)

I have had a lot of bugs before with MetaStock and each time I have
reported it I get the same age-old reply that the fault is with
everything else but *never* with Equis software.  For example, the
Downloader bug which I told you of in version 5.0 of MetaStock was
utterly denied but was 'fixed' in version 5.11 of MetaStock.

With this 5-2+1=2 situation your technical support initially told us
that the fault lay with our computer hardware and it was nothing to do
with MetaStock.

My big complaint with Equis is their lack of humility.  All I ask is
that when bugs are found, as they will be, that they be acknowledged so
that we, the customers, know about them and not waste hundreds of
man/hours trying to work out what is going wrong.  If I were to have
conformation of the import bug in 5.0 then it would have saved me a lot
of time and money.

I am not asking for much; I am only asking for some form of reality in
the statements received from Technical Support.  I do not want to be
told to reinstall my video driver, my operating system or, even, my
BIOS because I have found a bug with MetaStock.

I'll make a deal; you lot start acknowledging any bugs that appear (I'm
a software writer; I'm guilty of making them too) and I'll stop posting
about strange arithmetic parsing situations.  Fair enough?

Other than that I have few serious problems with MetaStock.  One of the
reasons why I shout so loudly is, like the man on terraces, he's the
first to yell abuse at his favourite team when they concede another
soft own-goal.

I have a small list of things that could be improved with MetaStock and
they are:

 - Better internal database system.  The EMASTER and XMASTER
   stuff scares the pants off me.
 - Release the much promised API for developers.
 - Speed up the Downloader import.
 - Data management tools.

But despite my yelling I am still a keen supporter of the program and I
have lost count of the number of sales that I have generated for your
company.

Love-Hate?  Perhaps so; but it's more fun than being a syncophantic
supporter isn't it?

Best wishes for the future,
 Malc

Malcolm Smith, Dragon Drop Limited