[RT] Avoiding viruses in executable attachments

If you find you are wasting too much time with these executable
attachments (like .scr), plus the endless e-mails on the list about
viruses, then you can always use Microsoft's Outlook 2000 or Outlook
XP for your e-mail program.

That's because Outlook 2000 with the latest updates applied, as well
as Outlook XP, both permanently block from your system any e-mail
attachment that's executable.   That includes a long list of
attachment types.   If a new executable type like .mp3 is added to
your system than Outlook automatically blocks those attachments as
well.

However .Zip files as attachments are allowed since normally your
virus program will check those when the .zip file is opened.

So with Outlook 2000 people send me the usual e-mails with the .scr,
.pif, etc., attachments, but I don't care what type the attachment is.
I just open the e-mail and read it.

I believe Outlook may also prevent you from even sending an e-mail
with an executable attachment.   Also your Address box is safe because
a warning message appears if any application on your system, other
than Outlook, tries to access your Address Book.

The only real disadvantage of Outlook 2000 - I can't speak for Outlook
XP - is the Preview pane doesn't show .gif attachments.   If the
graphic is embedded in the e-mail then it shows in the Preview Pane.
However most .gif's are attachments so I have to click a button to see
the attachment.

So I put up with that disadvantage and automatically have all your
e-mails about viruses put in a separate folder in Outlook.  Then I
ignore that folder - leaving me with no aggravation, and little wasted
time.

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here