Re: [RT] Re: Virii

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Me Tarzan wrote:

> standard.  With MS no longer shipping a Java VM, what is the
> probability that the AVERAGE user will go to the Sun site, locate the
> appropriate file, download it and install it?  And then keep up with
> any security patches or updates?  Yeah, right, about zero %.  And if
> users aren't running Java VM's, then any cute Java code that websites
> use won't be run - so why bother writing it in the first place?

And who do you think the average user will blame?  Not Sun... MICROSOFT.
The average user doesn't even know who Sun Microsystems is and why that
would have anything to do with Windows.  Clearly it is the browser that is
broken (at least in the view of the end user).

I wouldn't say that Sun lost here... nor that Microsoft has won.  Its
just going to generate bad feelings and confusion all around.

> Why did this happen?  Because Sun wanted Java to be a global standard
> BUT they refused to give it to the W3 standards body, instead
> insisting that it WAS a standard but THEY would control the
> standard.  Say what?

I see little problem with Sun maintaining the STANDARD themselves.  After
all, it *is* their language.  They are entitled to define it anyway they
like as long as the instantiations of the language remain true to the
standard.  That's why Microsoft cannot be trusted, because they tried to
usurp this standard, modify it to be Microsoft specific and thus increase
their market share and monopoly.

Microsoft *could* turn the standard over to the W3, but then Java is
bigger than the W3 and they clearly have a vision for the language that
they want to develop themselves.

> MS was being nice in carrying Java for Sun, even though Sun kept
> insisting that Java would eventually surrplant Windows.  Talk about
> ungrateful.  So MS found a way out of their agreement by losing the
> lawsuit that Sun instituted.  This was actually quite masterful
> manipulation by Gates & Co and they deserve some recognition for it
> <bg>.....

MS wasn't being "nice" to anyone and considering the underhanded,
acquisitive tactics the company uses I can't say that Sun has anything to
"grateful" for.  Sun obviously doesn't trust Microsoft to make decisions
that are in the interest of users or developers and for good reason.

The licence that Sun and Microsoft agreed to provided that Microsoft would
adhere to the standard and would not modify Java to their own ends and
they violated that agreement.  You can't call something Java when it isn't
really Java so Microsoft lost.

-- John

--

John T. Nelson           |  John's Trading Journal
trader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |  http://trader.computation.org/

    Hosted by Lexonia Internet Services
	     http://www.lexonia.net/

See What You've Been Missing!