[RT] Re: Virii

Pul-leeze.  You guys need to do some research before spouting so much
BS.

Sun originally sued MS for making modifications to Java which MS
claimed it was doing to make Java run better under Windows.  Sun
claimed this violated Sun's license.  Sun sued MS.  MS lost.  So MS
said fine, we aren't going to include your program in our
distribution of IE 6 going forward <g>. MS also says as part of their
new .Net [dot net] strategy that they will be shipping a new portable
language (C#) that will replace Java on Windows machines.

Sun is now privately kicking themselves realizing that they
challenged the master and lost.  And in losing, they might just have
dealt a big negative card for their Java's future as a global
standard.  With MS no longer shipping a Java VM, what is the
probability that the AVERAGE user will go to the Sun site, locate the
appropriate file, download it and install it?  And then keep up with
any security patches or updates?  Yeah, right, about zero %.  And if
users aren't running Java VM's, then any cute Java code that websites
use won't be run - so why bother writing it in the first place?

Why did this happen?  Because Sun wanted Java to be a global standard
BUT they refused to give it to the W3 standards body, instead
insisting that it WAS a standard but THEY would control the
standard.  Say what?

MS was being nice in carrying Java for Sun, even though Sun kept
insisting that Java would eventually surrplant Windows.  Talk about
ungrateful.  So MS found a way out of their agreement by losing the
lawsuit that Sun instituted.  This was actually quite masterful
manipulation by Gates & Co and they deserve some recognition for it
<bg>.....