Re: AW: [RT] OT: Who pays for your subscription to Realtraders ?

> This is what ennoys me: I download the RT messages as e-mails.
> Still I am experiencing connections for displaying (not downloading
> !) those f***...ine banner ads. Does Proxomitron help in these
> circumstance as well?

Hm.  I don't know.  Proxomitron & similar tools are "HTTP proxies"
that sit between your browser and the web.  They intercept and filter
stuff that you don't want to see on your browser, or (in the case of
banner ads) even download.  If Outlook connects to the web via IE or
uses the same mechanism, then it might also go through the HTTP
proxy, and thus it might get blocked.

Another way to avoid it, a bit messier but do-able, is to place a
HOSTS file on your system.  The networking code looks for a HOSTS
file to map "remote host name" to "remote host TCP/IP address"; if it
doesn't find a HOSTS file, it goes to your local DNS (Domain Name
Server).  You can use a HOSTS file that contains entries for all
known banner advertisers, and short-circuits ANY access to those
sites.  That way your system never attempts to connect to the net to
download anything from those sites, from ANY client -- Outlook,
browser, or anything else.

I need to run now, but I might be able to dig up info on this.  There
used to be a website that explained the process AND maintained an up-
to-date HOSTS file with all known advertisers.  I have an old copy of
that file but I think the website is gone now.

Gary

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/152424/_/971994306/