Re: [RT] OT: Who pays for your subscription to Realtraders ?

> Personally, I have a dialup-connection, i.e. I have
> to pay my telephone company and my internet-provider
> for these unwanted ads. To me, this is hard to accept.
>
> Is there a way I can supress these banners?

Don't use the eGroups site.  Get your messages the old-fashioned way,
through email.

Go to http://www.egroups.com/group/realtraders, select Modify, and
choose "Send email messages" as your Message Delivery option.

Then for messages (like this one) that are sent in plain ASCII, you
just receive the message as the sender sent it with only a short and
inoffensive ASCII ad at the bottom.  No downloaded banner graphics.

If the sender's emailer insists on sending fancy formatted HTML
messages, you're stuck with downloading TWO copies of the message
(plain text and HTML).  Some mailers allow you to choose to display
the unformatted version.  If yours doesn't do that, you still might
have to download a banner.  Or you might be able to use some of the
ad-blockers like Proxomitron to block the image.  (Which is what I do
when I access eGroups via the website.)

In either case, attached graphics &etc work just fine.  You avoid the
overhead & cruft of all the fancy eGroups page formatting.  Plus, if
you pay for connect time, you can also download all your RT messages
at once, instead of having to read them online.  Overall, you have to
download far less data, and you can do it with much less connect time.

Gary

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/152424/_/971988649/