Re[2]: Data management

At 06:52 PM 12/22/2005, Jimmy Snowden wrote:

>TS2ki with Esignal is exactly the setup that TS2ki was built for.  It
>does store all data automatically on the hard drive.  TS6, TS7 and now
>TS8 are all on Tradestations servers.  You get a little temp file for
>data but when you disconnect it evaporates.  So it is like having the
>Global Server in Florida rather than on your hard drive.  Works good
>if your way of doing business accepts that.

Not correct.

With TS8, when you open a new chart and type a symbol, the required data is downloaded from their servers to your machine to fill the chart in a few seconds. This is then stored locally on your machine in a cache file. The cache file is on your hard-disk and stays there when you turn the power off.

There is no "add it to the symbol universe", "make sure the BigPointValue, MinMove, etc. is correct. No need to ever download historical data. Simply type any symbol and the data with all the attributes automatically loads into your chart and the cache.

Then, when you open that symbol on the chart again, it first uses the data in the cache then automatically adds any new data required to bring the chart up to date.

If you are offline and bring up the chart, it plots the data stored in the cache but does not update it, obviously, until you log on again.

If the data in the cache gets corrupted for any reason, you can delete the clearly marked files for that symbol and it will reload it from scratch when you reopen the chart.

They also tell you with a small icon on the chart if there is a correction available for the data for that symbol and you can chose to apply the correction or not as you wish.

You can have multiple copies of TradeStation on multiple machines just so long as only one is on-line at a time. I often have a trading machine that is on-line during the day and a research machine that is off-line during the day. I can then log-on with the research machine after trading hours to refresh the cache files on the research machine. If I need a new symbol on the research machine during the day, I can temporarily log on with the research machine to get the required data.

When I think back to all the time I spent managing data, OMZ files, I wonder how I ever put up with all that hassle...

At 08:02 AM 12/23/2005, Phil Bailey wrote:

>Also, TS8 seems like it may go bankrupt or with different owners soon (?) (bad management).

Yes. It is a shame. The stock has only doubled this past year...

>This is in addition to obsoleting their own software routinely and making users change to upgrades without a choice in the matter (and they have absolutely nothing if they don't change - no history, no software, no choices). TS8 you have all eggs in basket as well with broker, charting, data feed in one package versus the undisputed industry best in each category which may change ( ie -  jack of all trades, master of... all part of bad management company policy mandate).

Perhaps. If you want to spend all your time integrating and managing all the multiple party tools. I would rather just turn on my computer and trade.

>I hope they always do well. I think everyone does. If you are just trying out for size, TS8 would be the easiest. But for the long haul either both or TS2k alone would be my alternative subset.

I still keep TS2000i around for mutual funds because so far, TS8 does not adjust mutual fund prices for distributions (last I checked). So I still had to use ASCII data. That required me to keep TS2000i operating until the present build of TS8, which can now read ASCII data files... Hurray!

>But yes, Bob is right. Next to Esignal, TS8 did model their data directly after Esignal and you have greater history range of groomed tic/minute data without the hassle at your finger tips. And you don't have to leave workstation on all night ($20/month electric savings). Esignal has 2/3 month window for retrieval of tic/minute interday data.

I don't leave my workstation on at night. Don't know where you got that idea.

Only a 2/3 month window? Too bad. TS8 retrieves many years of minute-data when you type in a new symbol. I don't know how much but I recently got 7 years of minute data for over 40 commodities.

And since TradeStation is now free (if you make only 10 round-turn futures trades a month), and you get real-time data for only the exchange fees, I wonder why anyone is still paying for their real-time data...

To each his own...  I know I would never go back to the old way...

Bob Fulks