Re: Re:Hard Drive failure somewhat off topic

Michael Guess wrote:
> Let run this by ya'll. I had a lightening strike a few weeks ago that
> took out my router, as well as the motherboard of my laptop (since
> replaced). It was then I had my first OS problems on my main box
> (also connected to my router (since replaced). Could it be my power
> supply is funky, and causing these issues?

Yes.

> Or maybe my motherboard?

also possible.

> also noted my CD player won't function properly now (it's nearly
> new). I can get the tray to open/close, but in the startup sequence
> it's skipped over, w/ the devices accessed starting w/ floppy drive,
> then skipping to the HD.

Lightning is not a good thing... it might be that most of your hardware
has got slightly damaged. Your concearn ofcourse is not wanting to
replace to much unnecacery stuf because that would cost a lot of
money with no results. Basicaly i would try to test all your hardware
in another computer. I would not advice to again install the OS on the
same harddisk with the same hardware. Your hardware seems damaged
and it might be a lot of things.

> If I could just get the CD player to access my installation CD maybe I
> could repair the problem long enough to do further investigation. I've
> CKDSK-ed my HD to death, revealing no issues, so I doubt it's the HD
> (also, it's less than a year old).

How did you do this if the HD computer does not start up ? But basicaly,
if you do this once with no errors, it should be ok.

My guess is a broken motherboard or processor. (ofcourse, don't take
my word for it :-)

when do your problems come ? Right at startup ? Or do they start
after the computer is running for a while ? If the last is the case it might
be heat. Check if your blower for your processor is still working. Also
the heat might get to your chips of your motherboard wich will have
it giving you problems. (for instance the chipset part that runs the
CD might be broken, it's also the part that runs the HD's) Try running
the pc for a while (if it does) with the "hood taken of" (open the case
and leave it open)

just a broken cd player should not be the case. It has nothing to
do with your HD not functioning. Problem is somewhere in:

Motherboard
processor
power suply
memory
HD (not likely because you CHKDSK'ed it wich however is no garantee)

Ofcourse... that basicaly covers most of your computer :-(

You will have a lot of searching to do. Personaly i would buy a
complete new PC, put the HD in it and backup all that i need and
sell the remains of the other PC or use it for some other not so
important stuf. That will atleast have you up and running again
tomorrow and save you a lot of time in wich you probably can
do other more usefull things than repair a computer wich, is my
guess, you did not study for :-)

greetings and good luck.