RE: Hard Drive failure somewhat off topic

You can install another copy of an OS in the same partition, but MS warns
against doing so. For example, WINDOWS1 and WINDOWS2 on C:\ isn't advisable,
if that's what you did.

The not booting problem is most likely a corrupt NFS, which is why the OS
asked if you'd like to try a repair. The CD drive won't open during booting,
intentionally.

Most of the disk failure/backup stuff that I've seen posted recently can be
obviated by simply running RAID1--2 disks mirroring (each other) and
automating incremental backup to another computer. Imo, not doing so with a
critical app is kind of dumb if I may say so. Not trying to be
offensive--just emphasizing a time-tested practice.

Here's how to recover your situation reasonably quickly. Pop in a new disk,
and jump the old disks to slave mode. Install a basic OS on the new disk.
Download runtime.org's recovery tools. With a bit of reading, you'll learn
their recovery paradigm, and you should be able to get everything running
again in about 1-3 hours, even if the old disks have failed, but still spin.

Good luck.
Colin West