Re: Re:Hard Drive failure somewhat off topic

Let run this by ya'll. I had a lightening strike a few weeks ago that took out my router, as well as the motherboard of my laptop (since replaced). It was then I had my first OS problems on my main box (also connected to my router (since replaced). Could it be my power supply is funky, and causing these issues? Or maybe my motherboard? I also noted my CD player won't function properly now (it's nearly new). I can get the tray to open/close, but in the startup sequence it's skipped over, w/ the devices accessed starting w/ floppy drive, then skipping to the HD.

If I could just get the CD player to access my installation CD maybe I could repair the problem long enough to do further investigation. I've CKDSK-ed my HD to death, revealing no issues, so I doubt it's the HD (also, it's less than a year old).

Does any of this make sense?

Thnx to all,

Michael

At 04:10 PM 10/3/2004, Henri Amand wrote:
Michael Guess wrote:

> Also, I'm stumped as to why this OS issue even happened. With a brand
> new Install of my OS things should've been OK. Yet, I'm having
> problems again (not exactly the same ones as I posted about before,
> but somewhat related). I sure hope someone can help out on this. I'm
> really getting desperate.

My guess would be a failing harddrive.

Only option i personaly would consider is buy a new HD, install the
OS on that new HD. Then try to copy all you want to save from the
old drive. If it's not the HD (wich i doubt) you have a good place
to make backups in the future :-)

Good luck with it,

greetings

henri