Re:Hard Drive failure somewhat off topic

Friday I heard funny sounds most of the day.  After the close my main
hard drive died.  Not a problem I think.  I have two Serial drives
exactly the same that I use Casper to copy one to the other.  None of
that RAID stuff just two drives I copy every week or two.  I also have
a IDE drive that has seven backups from Thursday back for a week on
things that change each day or might.  Well I unplug the bad serial
drive but the second serial drive wont run either.  I pull them out
and the one that should be good has part of the area where the cable
plugs in broken off.  So no problem I swap the boards but the board
from the bad drive is the bad part.  Well I dug out my trusty
soldering iron and swapped the tiny little plug parts.  Boy does that
hurt your eyes.  So I get the drive working and bring my small backup
in from the night before then download Friday's data from Esignal and
run out to get a new drive.  I got chicken and went to a IDE drive.
Decided the failure rate on Serial drives is too high for me.  So the
moral to this story is have a good backup plan that runs automatically
each night and if you are hard on hard drives like I seem to be then
have TWO backups on two drives.  Actually I'm going to get a forth
drive again.  I used to have four but I keep killing them.  One really
cool thing about a serial drive and a IDE backup is most BIOS will let
you swap the boot order on a reboot from the serial drive to the IDE
drive with a couple of keystrokes.

Several people have asked me how I learned to fix things like
Tradestation 2000i.  I have to be good at fixing things because I seem
to break everything.

--
Best regards,
 Jimmy                          mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx