Re: Missing INTC data in the na980105.omz file

Saul FFeld wrote:

> Rod:

> > I don't think it takes any imagination to conclude that
> >  INTC data for 1/5/98 was intentionally deleted to try to avoid
> >  more bad publicity.
>
> Since I, or others subscribers to this list, may not travel in the same
> "publicity" circles you do, would you mind laying out for us the bad publicity
> that Omega was trying to avoid?

The short answer is criticism for product limitations and/or bugs.
As a worse example, any company would like to avoid being the
subject of the type of general discussion we are apparently now
embarking on.  But I don't have time for much of it.  I hope this
message is the end since there is little chance for positive
results for TS users.

I don't travel in any glamorous circles; I just read a few mailing
lists.  I dare say "Omega bashing" on certain mail lists and usenet
news groups constitutes bad publicity.  If Omega were my company,
I definitely would consider a lot of what I read as bad publicity,
and I would certainly try to eliminate the causes through program
patches and other work arounds.  No program is perfect for either
total functionality or for lack of errors (bugs).  However, if it
were my responsibility, I would make a concerted effort to fix those
problems which are particularly vexing for users, occur repeatedly
over time, and affect a large segment of the users when they do
occur.

In addition, I have always found that confronting your problems
in the marketplace minimizes the flack one receives about those
problems.  Conversely, trying to ignore, or worse hide, problems
compounds users' ire.

Saul, is the above question answered adequately?  If not, read on,
maybe it will be by the end.

> And if in fact they have been getting it, have
> you a rationale for those smart business strategists at Omega (you can not
> argue that they are not smart, selling  Hambrecht & Quist et al. to market
> their stock at an equivalent capitalization of $1/4 BILLION just a few weeks
> ago!) to choose to delete the tick data for INTC your refer to? Wouldn't,
> worst case, any 2-bit management consultant have advised them against doing
> that?

I believe most long time readers of this and some other lists would
conclude that a survey of TS users would show that Omega's track
record for customer service has been poor.  At least in the
customer service area, Omega does not even have a lousy management
consultant, in my opinion.  So, no, I do not have a rationale to
offer for your question.  There is a clear distinction between
strategy and tactics.  In Omega's case the strategy has been
successful.  The every day tactics have been suspect.  For those
with either an investment in Omega's technology as owners of TS
or an investment in the company as shareholders, we can can all
hope Omega develops both a strategic plan and a tactical plan
for success.  It takes both.

> I hope this isn't too much of a burden on you.
> I would use your info to re-examine my wisdom of continuing "to wait" for
> Omega's TSvN.x to perform as represented, & become acceptable for my needs.

Only an Omega insider can give you specific information for your
evaluation.  I have only stated common sense platitudes and a few
observations about their past track record on dealing with customers.

For the time being, I reserve any specific suggestions for
direct communications with Omega.  I have made some in email
and in telephone conversations with Bill Cruz in the period
beginning a few weeks ago when trading volume was heavy and
caused other data problems over which the TS users have no
control.  Bill C. has promised a response to those suggestions
this week.

I would love to be able to complement Omega on a new
responsiveness to customer problems, especially problems which
have wide spread effects and which are not the result of user
actions.  The mere fact that I have talked with Mr. Cruz,
and we had a meaningful exchange of ideas, might be an
indication of new policies.  The email response from
melody.blais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to your message is another
positive indication.  Maybe it's time to do some bottom
fishin'.

Rod
--

J. Rodney Grisham, Ph.D.         ____  __   __
Technix Systems, Inc.             /   /_   /    /__/  /\ /  / \/