Re: Omega and Data

Peter 2150 wrote:

> With all the flurry of comments about Omega and the problems with INTC
> and SPY data lately,  it becomes easy to take what Omega does in collecting
> the data and making it available for granted.    Without for a minute
> forgeting some of the things we might like improved, I think we should be very
> grateful for this service that Omega provides at no charge.  So with that I
> say Thanks Omega.

Sure it is a great service.  When you need it, you -really- need it.

The problem I have with the situation on 1/5/98 is that the data
for INTC and SPX (apparently, I do not collect the SPX data) exhibit
one of the most frustrating data related situations for stock
traders.  Given the manner in which the TS server stores tick data,
a bad initial tick can render all data for one symbol for one day
useless.  If there was nothing that any person or any program
could do to correct or compensate for a bad initial tick, then
all users would simply have to resign themselves to the fact that
sometimes any electronically transmitted signal can have errors
either in transmission or in original encoding.

However, as Igor Uhrik has clearly defined to the readers of this
list on more than one occasion, there is a very tedious process
one can use with the TS tick editor to "correct" such data.
Omega could provide its users with a stand alone program to do
all or most of the drudgery of this process.  I think this is a
fair request for TS users to make of Omega.  Hence, when Omega
simply deleted the "bad" data without comment, I saw that as
an attempt to sweep an obvious example of a TS shortcoming under
the carpet.  It appeared to me to be an example of an attitude
similar to "if we don't acknowledge we have a problem, maybe it
will go away."  That is not exactly a customer friendly approach.

If you want to thank someone for something, I suggest we all thank
Igor Uhrik for offering to correct the INTC data and make it
available to the readers of this list.  With nearly 17,000 ticks
for INTC on 1/5/98, it will take Igor several hours of painful,
boring work to correct the data, if he can muster the patience
to complete that task.

Rod
--

J. Rodney Grisham, Ph.D.         ____  __   __
Technix Systems, Inc.             /   /_   /    /__/  /\ /  / \/