Re: Eskimo Anti-Spam Announcement

Mark Brown wrote:
>As  you  may  know I run a couple of my own mail servers. I would urge
>you to reconsider your implementation of ORDB. This method simply does
>not work because it locks out many legitimate users who have a need to
>run  a mail server which can be accessed by legitimate remote clients.
>The  in  flexibility of ORDB to only blacklist and not white list IP's
>is  criminal  and has court presentence of being prosecuted for denial
>of service.

There is no court precedence.  The matter was settled, not judged.
It was a case of an individual with shallow pockets going up against
a corporation with deeper pockets.  The owner of the ORBZ service
simply buckled under pressure and threats.  A court order does not
set any precedent.

>See below the public will not stand for DOS from ISP's

The public can and does stand for it, and in fact demands that spam
be blocked.  It is one reason I buy service from my provider.

ORBS/ORBZ was doing something that would be perfectly legal in this
country: exercising the right to free speech.  In this case, that
speech was simply a list of IP addresses running as open relays -
which SHOULD be blocked on sight.  ORBZ was not actually blocking
anything, only maintaining a list.  Just like Consumer Reports can
list companies that make shoddy products.  It's called free speech,
and it is constitutionally protected in this country.

Mark, you run your own servers.  They are your private property.
They are not common carriers.  The owner of a server can choose to
block anybody for any reason, and there is nothing anybody can do
about it.  If, by blocking certain traffic, an ISP makes itself
less valuable to its customers, the customers leave.  That's market
forces in action.

>I  say  good  riddance to the whole bunch of ORDB type services. There
>has to be a better way - like they MUST have white list as well.

You are always free to make your own whitelist.  Nobody forces you to
use the myriad blacklists out there.

>The  reason this will never work is that all anyone has to do is get a
>dynamic  ip  -  isp service and simply run the mail server from there.

ISPs routinely block dynamic IP pools, especially dial-ups, from any
port 25 activity, whether incoming or outgoing.

>The good spammers are not being caught, they will never be caught.

Actually, the "good spammers" (as in biggest and most pernicious,
like Ronnie Scelson and Ralsky) have, as the result of lists like
SPEWS, been kicked off one major ISP after another, forcing them to
move operations overseas.  Now we have a bunch of their crap coming
from China.  It's a matter of time before most service providers
realize it's too much bother to host spammers, and they'll stop.
In the meantime, the blocking lists are the ONLY thing making it
painful to host spammers.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com