Re: Eskimo Anti-Spam Announcement

Hello List,

LM> Eskimo  has  implimented  some  more  stringent  checking  of  the
LM> validity of the senders of email, in an effort to reduce tha flood
LM> of  spam  we're  all experiencing. These checks may affect some of
LM> you  when  you  post  to  the  list,  if your ISP is not set up to
LM> provide inverse-DNS for their mail servers.

As  you  may  know I run a couple of my own mail servers. I would urge
you to reconsider your implementation of ORDB. This method simply does
not work because it locks out many legitimate users who have a need to
run  a mail server which can be accessed by legitimate remote clients.
The  in  flexibility of ORDB to only blacklist and not white list IP's
is  criminal  and has court presentence of being prosecuted for denial
of service.

See below the public will not stand for DOS from ISP's

Here's  the  email  that  those  of  you  with forward sight have been
fearing since the inception of ORBZ.

As  of this moment, ORBZ is shutting down. DNS zones are going to stop
resolving,  the  website will disappear and mail will stop working (so
furthur discussion on this list probably won't work -- use NANAE).

I  don't  want  to  disappear in silence like ORBS, so I'll try for as
much description as possible without compromising my own position.

I  received  an  official court notice this afternoon to turn over all
information  relation  to  ORBZ  accounts.  This  came  from  the 10th
Judicial District court of the State of Michigan. It appears that ORBZ
may  be  facing criminal charges for denial of service relating to the
Lotus Domino issue.

I  was happy to try to weather any civil issues that may have come up,
and  I was committed to seeing it through. However, the threat of jail
time is too much; I don't believe in this fight quite that much.

Thank you all for all your support. I sincerely hope that someone with
the goal of carrying on the mission of ORBZ pops up in another country
with  a  less  foreboding  legal  system. Anyone who has copies of the
current zones may do with them what they wish.

For  those  of  you stuck without good spam filtering, please consider
ORDB and SpamCop; they both provide excellent free solutions.

Ian Gulliver
ORBZ

I  say  good  riddance to the whole bunch of ORDB type services. There
has to be a better way - like they MUST have white list as well.

The  reason this will never work is that all anyone has to do is get a
dynamic  ip  -  isp service and simply run the mail server from there.
What are they going to eventually block every IP? Yes that is where we
are headed with this madness. What's left is that whoever gets the old
IP  winds  up getting denied service because the IP they are using was
previously blacklisted. It's JUST STUPID and every wanna be admin geek
out  there  I  guess must go down this road just as surely as the self
destruct  newbies  do  at  trading.  The  good  spammers are not being
caught, they will never be caught. So I would suggest that individuals
simply  get  software  like Spam Killer ect. and create white list and
black  list  based  on personal preference. ISP's doing this for us is
the  equivalent  of  big brother government saving me from myself with
tighter government control. I wanna be FREE!

--
Best regards,
 Mark                            mailto:markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx