Re: Off-Topic: Browsers

zaitech.llc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am using Netscape 4.79 and have used all other versions before it. I
> have only had one problem with a virus and that occurred from something
> that I had inadvertently downloaded. Why is it that Netscape doesnt ever
> seem to get mentioned in these discussions? Does it have better security
> features than OE? What makes it better or worse than other browsers?
> Just curious to know.

Back in Jun-2001 I posted in this list a summary about Internet browser
and email software. Below I'm attaching the part about email software.

[...]
E-MAIL SOFTWARE
---------------
There are several options, which include:

Eudora                 http://www.eudora.com/
Pegasus                http://www.pmail.com/
TheBat!                http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/
NetscapeMail           http://home.netscape.com/download/index.html
MS OutlookExpress/2000

I have used all of these email programs (and others) for at least a year
and some of them for about a decade.

If I were to recommend the one most suited for the needs of a trader
following the usual lists, I would suggest NetscapeMail (is integral
part of NetscapeCommunicator v4.7x, along with NetscapeNavigator, the
browser part).

NetscapeMail provides the combination of power, ease of use and
compliance with open standards, the most important of which is Unix-like
mailbox format (like Eudora also does).

NetscapeMail can deal with many (50+ in my case) LARGE mailboxes, both
in size (>100MB) and number of mails (my largest mailbox has 45,000
mails). It's fast, has an easy UI, adequate filtering and searching
capabilities, is small and reliable. It understands HTML in the email (a
necessary evil in today's environment) and can display attached GIF
screenshots while viewing the message (won't decode and save it to an
"attachments" directory like Eudora does). It supports international
(iso-8859-x) character sets in messages (important for non-US users).
Also, it doesn't suffer from the security problems of Ooutlook
(look-out? ;-)

Other software in the list above might be a bit stronger in some
particular function if you're extra picky like me (multiple
accounts/personalities, outbound mail filtering, or saving mail into
textfiles) but overall NetscapeMail gets my vote. And in addition, the
price is right (free). Only problem is that AOL took it over, but even
if no updates are provided I expect to use it for another 5 years.

NOTE: My recommendation concerns NetscapeMail 4.x (*not* Netscape6)

Regards, M