PowerST (was Re: neoticker compared to TS)

Michael -

PowerST is not vaporware. It is being actively but quietly developed. PowerST
is currently being used by a limited number of early adopter customers.

I have posted to the omega list about PowerST from time to time as a way to
find early users. Those posts have been successful at making contact with
early users. At this moment, things are at about the right balance between
early users and ongoing development. So, I have been silent recently, since I
cannot take on new customers at the moment anyway.

Yes, the current web site does not contain much detailed information. Rather,
it briefly discusses the goals of the product and the current status of the
product, then concludes saying, "If you may be interested in starting with
the current feature level, please send email....".

I am not ready to disclose full detail about PowerST in a public forum. Those
who have seen the more detailed product descriptions as well as the software
itself have agreed to strict nondisclosure.

The ability to make contact with early users via the Omega list has been a
tremendous resource. It has given me the ability to start working with real
customers as development progresses. But it is a specialized person who is
interested in being this kind of early adopter. All early customers have had
extensive experience with other trading software. Some had made attempts at
custom written software. PowerST has provided testing capabilities to early
users that simply are not available anyplace else. It has been a win for me
to find early customers, and a win for the customers to get software
capabilities not available elsewhere.

As far as a summary of product status, the Paul Zislis summary below is
accurate. The web site provides a little more detail.

If you have a serious interest in possibly becoming an early adopter, you
should send me a private email. If, on the other hand, you prefer to wait
until further into the product introduction, that is fine also. I have tried
to maintain a very soft sell attitude, along with a very open assessment of
what the product is and is not. I find that different people interpret that
differently.

The worst thing I could do is sell too many copies of PowerST and not be able
to provide proper support to early customers. Right now the balance is about
right. There is no point in expanding features discussions on the web site
because the ability to take on additional customers is very limited right now
anyway, and I am getting sufficient inquiries with the way things are.

It's getting there. I can understand how someone not involved with the
product wouldn't recognize it, but the PowerST product has progressed
substantially since I first posted about it on the Omega list. Announcements
will be forthcoming... but not at this time.

Bob Bolotin
President, RDB Computing, Inc.
Developer of "PowerST: The Power System Tester"
http://www.powertesting.com
bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
847-982-1910

In a message dated 4/29/2002 6:20:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
mtzianos@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Paul,
>
>  Thanks for your feedback on PowerST.
>
>  Based on your last email, I just visited their site once again. Once
>  more, I have been unable to find any useful info, other than the
>  vendor's assurance about how great and unique it is, but ANY information
>  that would help me reach a decision is missing. In fact, practically all
>  pages are empty but this message "This page is currently being withheld
>  from this public PowerST web site." Heck, if they don't want to tell us
>  about this or that, just take those pages offline !
>
>  I think this must be going on for over two years (I have visited it
>  again everytime I read relevant posts by Bob Bolotin in this list), so
>  in my list of software to watch, PowerST has been moved to the
>  "vaporware" category ...
>
>  What I'd like to know about PowerST would be:
>
>  Which technical indicators does it support
>  Can one program own indicators
>  Which language is used (e.g. VB, JS, Delphiscript, EL-like, etc)
>  What type of orders are supported (stop, limit, MOO, MOC etc)
>  What EOD price data formats are suppoted (ASCII, Metastock, CSI etc)
>  Can I import signals from 3rd party sw (like TS)
>  How does it handle rollovers
>  Does it do multiple markets out of a single account
>  Does it do multiple systems
>  What type of risk-control functions are available
>  What betsizing algorithms are supported (ff, fixed-ratio etc)
>
>  Once the abovementioned very basic info is provided to my satisfaction,
>  I would try to verify that it works correctly, by asking the developer
>  to do a very basic Donchian channel backtest over several markets and
>  try to replicate his results (like the Darryl Tremelling study a couple
>  of months ago).
>
>  Btw, many software packages that were claiming to have portfolio
>  capability are based on flawed concepts, but people using them don't
>  seem to notice or care. Makes you wonder ...
>
>  Regards, Michael
>
>  "Paul M. Zislis" wrote:
>  >
>  > cwest and list:
>  > Depends on what you need.  PowerST IS ready for me - I've been using it
> and
>  > happy with it for two years.  I need EOD support, not intraday.  I don't
>  > need charting - I have other tools for that.  I've seen nothing else on
> the
>  > market that supports user defined money management and portfolio analysis
>  > and testing remotely approaching the power and flexibility of PowerST.
If