Installing XP from scratch --- WAS:Re: Gentlemen, Thank You--ditto

Dear Jim & Group,

I didn't bore you with all my problems.  My week of computer wars began when I
attempted to install Win XP in my Dell P3/500.  I FDISK'd and FORMAT'd the Dell
then ran the XP install process.  The first thing that arose was that although
I had purchased a Full Program version of XP, its instructions provided only
for installing XP on a machine already loaded with Win98.  That was when I
began calling MS Support, who acknowledged that the XP instructions did not
include how to load XP from scratch --- whose instructions they gave me by
phone.   The next thing that arose was that upon following the "load XP from
scratch" instructions, at the end of the installation, I got the error message
"Installation shut down because to continue might damage your harddrive ---
check for viruses on your harddrive and harddrive controller, remove them, and
re-install XP."  I re-installed Win98 and Norton Anti-Virus, which showed no
viruses throughout.  I again FDISK'd and FORMAT'd then re-installed XP: same
error message.  I called MS again.  They waffled.  I called a couple of local
computer stores, who told me that XP was especially difficult to install from
scratch (as opposed to on top of Win98), and that the usual result, especially
with an "older" computer such as my Dell P3/500 was error messages alleging
virus problems, when the real problem was XP incompatibility.  Apparently, the
way to reduce this "incompatibility" is to install XP over Win98 and its
DOS-based programs.  At this point, I bailed out and went back to using Win98
(alone) and then immediately ran into my dongle problem.

I have heard many positive comments about XP.  I trust others have had better
success with its installation than I.  Perhaps, especially with non-new
computers, it is best to install it on top of Win98.

Sincerely,

Richard