Re: Pirate Prosuite?

Thanks to all those who helped piece together the conclusion that my CDs are
indeed counterfeit and thanks especially to those who even scanned their
originals for comparison (I learnt:  no the print shouldn't be jagged and
yes it should be smooth and sharp).  Bummer.

On eBay there seem to be two types of seller:  those
who sell an apparently genuine Prosuite as a one-off, just once (hard to
find but there from time to time);  and those who make a career of selling
(probably counterfeit) Prosuite (always there).  For anyone contemplating an
auction purchase I would recommend the following:

1.  Avoid those sellers just selling the two CDs and nothing else (no
printed manuals, original boxing, etc)
2.  Avoid sellers who use the same descriptive prose but different userids
to sell Prosuite
3.  Avoid those sellers who offer no photograph of their wares
4.  Check to see if the seller is a serial seller by using the auction
history facility on eBay.

I put quite a lot of research time into deciding whether to make the
transition to TS2000i.  My main concern was how long Omega's tech support
would continue given that this product is no longer current in the United
States.  Talking to a few people at Omega a couple of months back their
consensus was another 18-24 months at the very least, basing their estimates
on how long they have continued to support obsolete products in the past.
They're still supporting TS4 and that was taken off the shelves what, a year
and a half ago.  Interestingly, they said that they were planning to release
TS6 in Europe sometime next year which means outside America TS2000i will be
the latest product for some time to come.  Still working on
broker-integration issues apparently.

Then in one of the conversations, a lady at Omega was telling me about
instances where tech support wasn't offered - if you bought Prosuite 2000i
off another user for example.  Off eBay for example.  Poor girl:  Never
having been to an internet auction I'd never considered this option and it
was like, "Hey, thanks for the idea."  Later I spoke with no fewer than
three people in Omega sales and tech support to find out what their position
on buying a used copy was and none of them batted an eyelid - in each case
the only thing they said was that they didn't offer support.  Fair enough.
Perhaps their concern for TS2000i has diminished now that TS6 is around?

Whatever their official policy, I'd certainly encourage Omega to keep an eye
on what's going on at eBay (I trust they're reading this list from time to
time).

Rhetus