Re: Re[2]: Windows 2000 v's NT4.0 SP 5 for 2000i

> Well, I've reinstalled TS2k on Win2k more times than I want to
> remember over the last year, and I'd say in general, the MOST
> important thing is to keep to an absolute minimum what you install
> on your machine.
>
> Every added app is something else that can screw up your
> stability.. particularly oddball (no offence mb) 3rd party apps;
> internet speeders, downloader tools, virus checkers, firewalls etc
> etc. Only install what you -really- need.

Hm.  I have one system that is now dedicated to running realtime TS4
for my trading.  I have another, a new Athlon XP 1700+ with 512MB RAM
and a fresh install of Win2k.  I intended to use this one for
research and for other apps -- email, browsers, etc.  So there are a
number of miscellaneous apps on this system in addition to TS4.  Then
I tried dropping TS2k on it, to experiment with some of its expanded
capabilities -- just offline.  I assumed a brand-new Win2k with a few
other apps on a machine of this horsepower ought to keep TS2k happy.

It works, more or less, and I like the ability to display more than
13k bars & a few of its other features.  But I've run into all kinds
of problems.  Weird things like the Strategy Performance Report
getting hung up when it updates, or getting into an error state,
graying out the window, and refusing to work until I restart TS2k.
Or all kinds of "can't open index file" errors or something like
that.  Plus it's way WAY slower than TS4 for many things.

Certainly I would never trust this thing to real trading.  And it's
not worth it to dedicate a separate box to it just so it doesn't get
its knickers in a twist.  Even if I had it running on its own box, if
it's *that* sensitive to any minor addition to the system, who knows
when it might lose its marbles because I sneezed or something?  I
need solid, reliable software for my trading.  Not some pollyanna
that I can't trust.  Too bad.

Gary