RE: OffTopic Security ZoneAlarmPro & TS6 & Windows2000

> The real question is, why do you feel the need to have both
> hardware firewall AND software firewall as well. I have Syslink
> router/firewall and that is it. Nothing so far, in the past year
> has gotten past it. What is it you expect to happen that the
> hardware firewall is not going to protect?

I also run ZA behind a hardware router.  In over a year, not a single
probe got past the router to reach my NT system.  Then when I added a
new Win2000 system, behind the same router and also running ZA, I
started getting the occasional probe.  I'm not sure why the W2k
system sees these and the NT system doesn't -- it may be because I'm
running a newer version of ZA on W2k -- but it's clear that it IS
possible for a few things to dribble through the router.

Whether that's enough to be a threat is another question.  I suspect
the router is providing enough protection for 99.99% of the cases.
But I don't notice any overhead from ZA, and I like being notified
when programs unexpectedly access the internet.

Gary