RE: Oddball and the Emperor's New Clothes

Wes - I think you are missing the fundamental basis of the system.
The first parameter (7), as has been mentioned here before, is
looking back 1 day to the *same* time period for the roc calc.
I suggest you look at an hourly bar chart of the $adv.
It is not a normal price series like a stock or future, is it?
Virtually every single day the closes rise from a low number to a
higher number. There is no carryover from ther previous day -
each day begins fresh at 0. This is about as cyclical as you can get.
Using 7 in effect filters out the massive cyclic nature of $adv to
return a tradable signal. Any other number *radically* changes the
dynamics. If you want to optimize, then the last 2 values are the
only logical ones to mess with.

rich