[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Buy High or Low? - an informal poll

Hmmm... perhaps I've made it sound more complicated than it needs to
be.

Imagine it's 7pm in the evening, 3 hours after market close, and the
day's final data arrives.  We now know today's Open, High, Low and
Close of the day with 100% certainty.

We look at our finalized data, and find that today our favorite stock
has closed within 4% of today's High.  Our decision now is:

 1) Go Long at tomorrow's Open (strategy Y).

OR

 2) Go Short at tomorrow's Open (strategy X).

Which strategy is more likely to be profitable in the long run?

Strategy Y:
==========

* Buy Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
  4% of today's High.

* Sell Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
  4% of today's Low.

Strategy X:
==========

* Buy Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
  4% of today's Low.

* Sell Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
  4% of today's High.

Y is basically a short-term trend-following strategy.
X is basically a short-term contrarian strategy.

So, which strategy is more likely to be profitable in the long run, Y
or X?

jose '-)
http://www.metastocktools.com

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Jose,
>
> Poses some interesting thoughts but IMO there are only 2 events
> that you will know...the open and the close. The low and high will
> not be known until after the open and right at the close. As far
> as the profit it would be nice if we knew the trend. Since
> everything is unknown my answer would be:
> 4) I don't know
>
> Preston
>

> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jose Silva"
> <josesilva22@> wrote:
>
> I've posted this poll on another usergroup, but it is currently
> attracting little interest there.  The question deals with our
> perception of the market vs its reality.
>
> I can't post a Poll here, but it would be interesting to get some
> informal results of members' opinions.

> Strategy Y:
>
> Buy Long when Close is within 4% of today's High.
> (Buy Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the top of
> today's High-Low range).
>
> Sell Long when Close is within 4% of today's Low
> (Sell Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the bottom of
> today's High-Low range).
>

> Strategy X (Y reversed):
>
> Buy Long when Close is within 4% of today's Low
> (Buy Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the bottom of
> today's High-Low range).
>
> Sell Long when Close is within 4% of today's High.
> (Sell Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the top of
> today's High-Low range).
>

> Question:
> Which trading strategy is likely to be more profitable, Y or X?
>
> 1) Strategy Y
> 2) Strategy X
> 3) no difference - both are identical
> 4) I don't know

> To make it easier to visualize the simple condition signals, below
> is the MS indicator code:
>
> ==============
> Poll indicator
> ==============
> ----8<-------------------------------------
>
> {©Copyright 2006 Jose Silva.
>   For personal use only - trade at own risk.
>   http://metastocktools.com }
>
> { User inputs }
> pr1:=Input("Entry: min Close's % dist [0~100%] from bar's
> Low",0,100,4)/100;
> pr2:=Input("Exit: min Close's % dist [0~100%] from bar's
> High",0,100,4)/100;
> rev:=Input("Reverse Close position condition?  [0]No,
> [1]Yes",0,1,0) ;
> plot:=Input("Signals:  [1]Clean,  [2]All,  [3]Trade
> binary",1,3,1);
> delay:=Input("Entry and Exit delay",0,5,0);
>
> { Close x% of High-Low range signals }
> rangePos:=(C-L)/Max(H-L,.00001);
> entry1:=rangePos<=pr1;
> exit1:=rangePos>=(1-pr2);
>
> { Reverse signals? }
> entry:=If(rev,exit1,entry1);
> exit:=If(rev,entry1,exit1);
>
> { Clean signals }
> init:=Cum(IsDefined(entry+exit))=1;
> bin:=ValueWhen(1,entry-exit<>0 OR init,entry);

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)