[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Buy High or Low? - an informal poll

Jose,
One  of my Intraday strategy (gives me 68 %  winning trades)is
whenever a stock closes near the High (above 30% of the Range),Buy
next day at open to Sq up at (30% of previous Day's Range + Pev H)
or at end of 1st Hr whichever is earlier.
Asish

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jose Silva"
<josesilva22@xxx> wrote:

> Hmmm... perhaps I've made it sound more complicated than it needs
> be.
>
> Imagine it's 7pm in the evening, 3 hours after market close, and
the
> day's final data arrives.  We now know today's Open, High, Low and
> Close of the day with 100% certainty.
>
> We look at our finalized data, and find that today our favorite
stock
> has closed within 4% of today's High.  Our decision now is:
>
>  1) Go Long at tomorrow's Open (strategy Y).
>
> OR
>
>  2) Go Short at tomorrow's Open (strategy X).
>

> Which strategy is more likely to be profitable in the long run?

> Strategy Y:
> ==========
>
> * Buy Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
>   4% of today's High.
>
> * Sell Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
>   4% of today's Low.
>

> Strategy X:
> ==========
>
> * Buy Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
>   4% of today's Low.
>
> * Sell Long at tomorrow's Open if today's Close was within
>   4% of today's High.

> Y is basically a short-term trend-following strategy.
> X is basically a short-term contrarian strategy.
>
> So, which strategy is more likely to be profitable in the long
run, Y
> or X?
>

> jose '-)
> http://www.metastocktools.com
>

> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > Exactly my point...we just don't know so always use stops.:-)
> >
> > Preston
> >

> > --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jose Silva"
<josesilva22@>
> > wrote:
> >
> > "Buy Long at next day's Open..."
> >
> > No hindsight required.
> >
> > No unknowns, no known unknowns, no unknown knowns, no unknown
> > unknowns.  (With apologies to that great poet, Donald
Rumsfeld) ;)
> [...]
will
> > not be known until after the open and right at the close. As far
> > as the profit it would be nice if we knew the trend. Since
> > everything is unknown my answer would be:
> > 4) I don't know
> >
> > Preston
> >

> > --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jose Silva"
> > <josesilva22@> wrote:
> >
> > I've posted this poll on another usergroup, but it is currently
> > attracting little interest there.  The question deals with our
> > perception of the market vs its reality.
> >
> > I can't post a Poll here, but it would be interesting to get
some
> > informal results of members' opinions.

> > Strategy Y:
> >
> > Buy Long when Close is within 4% of today's High.
> > (Buy Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the top of
> > today's High-Low range).
> >
> > Sell Long when Close is within 4% of today's Low
> > (Sell Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the bottom
of
> > today's High-Low range).
> >

> > Strategy X (Y reversed):
> >
> > Buy Long when Close is within 4% of today's Low
> > (Buy Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the bottom
of
> > today's High-Low range).
> >
> > Sell Long when Close is within 4% of today's High.
> > (Sell Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the top of
> > today's High-Low range).
> >

> > Question:
> > Which trading strategy is likely to be more profitable, Y or X?
> >
> > 1) Strategy Y
> > 2) Strategy X
> > 3) no difference - both are identical
> > 4) I don't know

> > To make it easier to visualize the simple condition signals,
below
> > is the MS indicator code:
> >
> > ==============
> > Poll indicator
> > ==============
> > ----8<-------------------------------------
> >
> > {©Copyright 2006 Jose Silva.
> >   For personal use only - trade at own risk.
> >   http://metastocktools.com }
> >
> > { User inputs }
> > pr1:=Input("Entry: min Close's % dist [0~100%] from bar's
> > Low",0,100,4)/100;
> > pr2:=Input("Exit: min Close's % dist [0~100%] from bar's
> > High",0,100,4)/100;
> > rev:=Input("Reverse Close position condition?  [0]No,
> > [1]Yes",0,1,0) ;
> > plot:=Input("Signals:  [1]Clean,  [2]All,  [3]Trade
> > binary",1,3,1);
> > delay:=Input("Entry and Exit delay",0,5,0);
> >
> > { Close x% of High-Low range signals }
> > rangePos:=(C-L)/Max(H-L,.00001);
> > entry1:=rangePos<=pr1;
> > exit1:=rangePos>=(1-pr2);
> >
> > { Reverse signals? }
> > entry:=If(rev,exit1,entry1);
> > exit:=If(rev,entry1,exit1);
> >
> > { Clean signals }
> > init:=Cum(IsDefined(entry+exit))=1;
> > bin:=ValueWhen(1,entry-exit<>0 OR init,entry);

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)