Re: Put-Call Ratio

I trade Options and think I have something worth adding to this
discussion.
Since 1987 and increasingly since Fosback's book the uses of Puts and Calls
has become more complicated than simply assuming that Puts denotes negative
market expectations (vice versa for Calls).

Styles of investment/trading these days view options as risk management
tools and positions are taken not as the buyers expectations but as the
buyer's insurance in case his real expectations don't turn out.
For example:
Buying puts for many is not an expectation of a downturn but the back
side of a trade in a portfolio of stocks or index futures where the
expectation is a
market movement up. The Puts are taken on as a hedge or low cost insurance.

So I find Put/Call ratio not easily interpreted, but the real value in
watching it may be when the trend or basing of the ratio, e.g. .9, rapidly
becomes higher, 1.5, or lower,.45. At which time the ratio is an Alert
signal requiring
further research in other indicators.

Hope there are other comments out there.

Stan Rubenstein