IRL Additional Remarks

The IRL program without data is about 19-20 megabytes. I have an additional 18-19 used for data which is in the metastock format and is used by both IRL and the Metastock program. IRL does not cause data duplication the way I am using it. Note that the IRL CD is a storage device and that data need not be written to your hard drive until you require it. I would estimate their data might run into over 100 megabytes if you loaded it all.

I use Quotes-Plus and they download their data in a different format which is later converted to the Metastock format. Quotes Plus does cause data duplication. A friend of mine uses Primate data a company in Southern California which downloads in a selected format by the customer and one of those is the Metastock data format. This is a daily data provider that does not cause duplication of data. I believe they are on the internet if you wish to pursue further information. My friend has used this service for more than one year and is happy with it. I believe it costs about $5 more a month than Quotes Plus.

On the subject of copying a data file to your folders using Downloader it will cause you lose the old file with the same name. The same thing occurs with the win 95 file program. I suggest that you append your data that means you are only adding data to that which you already have. For instance each day I use Quotes Plus to update my files this is appending data not rewriting over the whole file. Thus I may retain many years of data in that file far more than the Quotes Plus data base of approximately two years. I believe most of the data providers have the capability of appending your files of data. So It is my opinion that you can manipulate your data in a manner which would allow you to retain all of your past data.

If Equis reads this please comment as to advisable of this method or of a better one.

John Sellers
Torrance CA
USA