[RT] Virus infection prevention

If one is willing to exercise a bit of caution and preparation, it is
unnecessary to invest time, money and machine resources in virus software. I
own Norton Systemworks Pro 2001, however the virus software is not installed
nor will it be. I have run PC's for 15+ years now and my machines have never
been infected by the virus' to which my machines have been exposed. Some
simple precautions will keep you equipment safer from virus' than all of the
available anti-virus software:

a) use Microsoft Windows Update to insure that all Critical Updates are
installed on your OS, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. These updates
include fixes for new and existing security vulnerabilities

b) never open attachments which are not graphics (GIF, JPG) or email (EML) -
this expressly includes files of types: EXE, SCR, DOC, XLS, BAT, and CMD. If
you are current with Critical Updates, previewing these messages in your OE
preview pane will not execute the virus.

c) never swap the above file types with other machines unless you are
absolutely sure that the origin machine is not virus infected and the file
is not malicious. Those who find it necessary to exchange files with other
machines would probably be well served to install anti-virus software to
inspect these files before opening them.

Earl