Re: [RT] Virus infection prevention

---- Original Message -----
From: "Earl Adamy" <eadamy@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 2:19 PM
Subject: [RT] Virus infection prevention

[snip]

> b) never open attachments which are not graphics (GIF, JPG) or email
(EML) -
> this expressly includes files of types: EXE, SCR, DOC, XLS, BAT, and CMD.
If
> you are current with Critical Updates, previewing these messages in your
OE
> preview pane will not execute the virus.

It seems most virus come as attachments, often with a double extension to
try to fool you,  for example    filename.txt.exe.   If you have Windows set
to hide known extensions, which I think it may do by default, you may only
see filename.txt.   The following (from about.com's  virus info) explains
how to make sure you can see all extensions.

http://antivirus.about.com/compute/antivirus/library/attachments/blenext.htm

I had to hunt a bit to find out how to change the registry as described in
the last paragraph of the above site.  Run regedit.exe .   A list of folders
is displayed, one of which is Hkey_Classes_root.  Click on that and a long
list is presented.  Find Shell scrap and click on that.  One or more lines
will show in the righthand window.  click on "nevershowExt".  Click on edit
| delete.  confirm.  that line will go away.   Then registry | exit.

I think messing with the registry can be a bit risky.  I don't know how
important it is to show this one type.

Conrad Bowers