Re: [RT] NAS

BobKC,
I don't believe I called you a liar and If so you have my apology, I am not
in the habit of doing that.

My point was simply don't make fun or poke jibes at something that does in
fact work for other people, just because you don't use it or believe in it.
I can show you many examples of where it has worked wonderfully in
commodities. If fundamentals work good for you fine, you won't find me
making comments about people who use it.

My decision to go 80% into zero's in 1998 was in fact based on charts,"that
to me" said many stocks "may" have reached peaks that may not be seen for
many years to come and that corrections, consolidations whatever you want to
call them might be coming, minimizing returns. Perhaps protection of capital
versus return on capital might be in order.

The question became what do I do with my money and the answer interestingly
came from two different hosts on CNBC in the late spring of 1998. As I
recall the first was E. Garzerelli (the women who made the call in 1987
before the crash), while still bullish she surprisingly recommended the
investors put 50% of what were then, enormous 3 1/2 year double digit gains,
into zeros. Her reasoning was sound, first the market was unlikely to
continue on such a tear and secondly at the prevailing rates, a double of
these enormous gains was guaranteed. Bottom line she said you could lose the
other 50% and still have what you started with. Made sense to me. Then along
came someone from Morgan (might have been Byron Wien?) and he basically
recommended the same thing. Lastly a number of friends were starting to
complain that their funds were no longer doing as well as the averages.
Bottom line is if you were not in "certain stocks" you were not seeing
upward progress, indicating to me a narrowing of the market. I decided at
that point to take my money substantially off the table and lock in a
double.  I also moved 1/3 of a trust out of equities and into cash and
bonds. By the fall of 1998 I was feeling pretty good, then as you know the
"bubble began" . By late January of 2000 my brother questioned the move and
asked that the money be moved back into stocks saying the change was making
the trust under perform. I decided to find out and did the calculations,
presented them to the bank trust manager and asked that he verify the
results. Guess what, money sitting in money market and bonds had out
performed the equity funds by $17,000 during that time period (July 1998 to
January 2000), had the money be left in them. Now admittedly the funds are
not the best around but the trust requires the "bank's group" be used if
investments are to be in equities (STI Classic, they are very poorly rated
when compared to their peers). So overall maybe the move has not been bad in
both respects.

As for the rest of the money, I full time trade commodity futures (6 years)
and some stocks. I even recently have traded futures in tandem with another
person who often frequents this list and we work well together. His
technical expertise is very strong and a sharing of trading ideas has worked
well so far for both of us. I have never shorted a stock (until Amazon
recently), probably should have, not sure why. I certainly sell futures
(mainly US, ES, SF, EC, CC), so in that respect yes I have shorted this
declining market. I just never really learned to short stocks. This list has
been a great help in that respect (particularly Gitanshu).

For the record, I too lost money on T last year having bought 2000 shares at
$41.50 after the big drop, sold the 45 calls for $1.50 immediately, was
stopped out when it traded to $38 3/4 (7% below my buy)and the calls expired
worthless mitigating my loss. I also tried 2000 shares of INTC at $47.00
after the big drop (see a pattern here) and sold the 50 calls, bought them
back at 3/4, sold the 45 calls, for 2 1/2, and was stopped out at $41.00 for
a slight loss (should have listened to Gitanshu there). Long 2000 shares CDO
at 10 5/8 sold at 12 3/4, re-bought 2000 at 11 1/4 and sold at 15 3/4. That
was it for year, the rest was all futures which was much better and pays the
bills as well as college for two, and improves my savings.  I still dabble
in an old business I have where I have some good contacts (Banks) that
remain loyal, about 1 hour a day max (after 3:15 mostly) but does well
considering the time spent.

Anyway that's it from me. Does KC mean Kansas City, just wondering, I just
did business with the Federal Reserve Bank there.

Good luck and good Trading,
don ewers