Re: [RT] GEN:OFF TOPIC:Computer Industry

FWIW, I've been in the computer business for 35 years, both
hardware and software, but mostly software. When I'm looking for
new employees for an entry level position in software
development, I don't consider a resumed person with less than 3
years experience.

Ned Markson

c_r@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Last Spring I took an intensive programming and database course (Visual
> Basic and Sequel Server) at a local, well known adult education center with
> an eye to making a career change.  There was no job finding help beyond
> advice about networking and resume writing.  Those from my class who had
> some programming background, COBOL, Unix, etc., found work within several
> weeks.  Those of us without previous programming experience have had a much
> rougher time.  Paper Certs--A+, MCSE, etc. are a dime a dozen.  If I were
> to do it over, I'd find a program that offered apprenticeships for the
> hands on  experience employers want.
>
> You might try to find local user groups for the area of proposed
> study.  Attend some meetings and ask about training programs.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Charles Marchand
> At 10:45 AM 12/23/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hello RTs,
> >
> >I'm currently looking at changing careers, for many reasons. I would
> >appreciate feedback from any of you who are currently either in the
> >programing end of the industry and/or the networking area.
> >
> >I'm considering attending a tech school called Devry. They offer a one
> >year program ($19K), for people who already have their BA or above who
> >don't need the foundation classes (english, hist, math, etc.) You are
> >immerse in learning programing and networking,
> >supposedly enough to get your foot in the door.
> >
> >I don't know if this is the best way to go? I did find out that Devry
> >does NOT assist you in obtaining any of the certifications (A+, MSCE,
> >CISCO). They claim that what ever company that hires you will send you
> >back to school to obtain those certs.
> >
> >Please reply PRIVATELY.
> >
> >--
> >
> >Namaste',
> >Mark

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/0/_/152424/_/977748545/