Re: [RT] GEN:OFF TOPIC:Computer Industry

Mark,

Last Spring I took an intensive programming and database course (Visual
Basic and Sequel Server) at a local, well known adult education center with
an eye to making a career change.  There was no job finding help beyond
advice about networking and resume writing.  Those from my class who had
some programming background, COBOL, Unix, etc., found work within several
weeks.  Those of us without previous programming experience have had a much
rougher time.  Paper Certs--A+, MCSE, etc. are a dime a dozen.  If I were
to do it over, I'd find a program that offered apprenticeships for the
hands on  experience employers want.

You might try to find local user groups for the area of proposed
study.  Attend some meetings and ask about training programs.

Best of luck,

Charles Marchand
At 10:45 AM 12/23/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello RTs,
>
>I'm currently looking at changing careers, for many reasons. I would
>appreciate feedback from any of you who are currently either in the
>programing end of the industry and/or the networking area.
>
>I'm considering attending a tech school called Devry. They offer a one
>year program ($19K), for people who already have their BA or above who
>don't need the foundation classes (english, hist, math, etc.) You are
>immerse in learning programing and networking,
>supposedly enough to get your foot in the door.
>
>I don't know if this is the best way to go? I did find out that Devry
>does NOT assist you in obtaining any of the certifications (A+, MSCE,
>CISCO). They claim that what ever company that hires you will send you
>back to school to obtain those certs.
>
>Please reply PRIVATELY.
>
>--
>
>Namaste',