Re: [RT] GEN: Software (DT)

You'll find some criticisms, some applause and some shades of gray here.

After spending considerable time reviewing Bob Miner's free web pages
(www.dynamictraders.com) and receiving some recommendations, I purchased
the complete Dynamic Trader package for around $2000: Dynamic Trading
book, workshop book, DT v2 software, user guide, and newsletter, in the
spring of 1999. I found the DT book and the workshop book to be among
the best organized and written trading guides I have ever read. The
newsletters were educational but real-time trading did not seem to be
RM's forte. The software gave me problems from day one due to a
combination of program bugs and NT4 compatibility issues. Bob indicated
that I had my choice of an immediate refund or waiting for v3 with an
extended money back guarantee. I attended a his 2 or 3 day workshop in
Tucson the following month to learn more about the DT techniques.
Shortly after returning, I received beta v3 which did not work under
NT4. A large number of communications with the developer/support person
left me feeling like he didn't bother reading the very detailed
information which I was providing (I was a software developer in my
pre-trader life) and that the two of us did not continuously cohabit the
same planet. More beta's arrived and none of them worked properly.
Naturally the release version followed and it didn't work properly
either.

I wrote to Bob giving him my candid opinions of both the software and
the developer. His reply did not give me encouragement that he
understood the issues with the software and developer, but did offer the
return of my money in full, including the workshop plus compensation for
my time in attending it. In short, I consider Robert Miner to be a man
of unusual honor among those selling trading material to the public, and
I would not for a moment hesitate to recommend doing business with him.
The DT book and workshop book are first rate and I continue using them
for reference to this day.  I occasionally purchase a DT newsletter from
his web page as a bit of a refresher or when I want another perspective
on the markets. It's been over a year now since I used the DT software
and much is likely to have been  changed and/or improved. I subsequently
purchased Advanced Get and have found it quite suitable to me needs so I
have not felt the need to revisit the DT software. At least one other
active member of this list attended the same Tucson workshop and I
believe continues to be a satisfied user of the software .

Earl