[RT] Re: if only I'd held Yahoo! {02}

Hi All:

Thanks, Gary, for the info on Yahoo.

Since we're discussing about whether systems trading is good, and systems
trading vs discretionary trading etc, it should be a good opportunity to
compare notes here, you who use systems trading.

Here's one (see attached excel file) using Lichello's "How to Make a
Million Dollars in the Stock Market Automatically" - namely, the "AIM" system.

I wrote the spreadsheet in Lotus 1-2-3 (version 2.01) format.  I've
translated the results into excel format.

I got the Yahoo data from Dial Data, starting Apr 96 to present.

I tried MONTHLY data on the AIM spreadsheet.

The results are shown in the attached file.

1.	Initial investment: $10,000
2.	Portfolio value as of Dec 8, 1999:
	a. Buy and hold:  	$644,655
	b. AIM:	     	$ 53,367

Admittedly, Buy and Hold fares a lot better.  AIM is still not bad,
considering this IS a purely mechanical trading system with no discretion
involved.

I don't use AIM to trade myself, though I use its concepts - buy low, buy
more at lower prices, sell high, sell more at higher prices...

I don't have the discipline to stick to any mechanical system.

Anyone else here, care to dish out some results based on your systems?

Wong
=====
At 06:57 PM 12/08/99 -0800, Gary Funck wrote:

>Well, out of curiosity, I looked at what sort of drawdowns
>the buy/hold YHOO stock holder had to endure to have held
>it until now.  Here's a table that illustrates the type of
>swings that YHOO has gyrated through over the past few
>years:
>
>Date       Long        Short
>       days  %-gain  days %-drop
>960415   1   46.94   2   31.25
>960502  11   34.34  48   53.38
>960923  51   58.87  43   29.95
>970127  44  116.67  35   41.14
>970409  15   63.63   9   31.25
>971006 116  255.30  16   41.79
>980707 171  508.06  40   43.13
>980929  19  128.18   7   27.58
>990111  64  356.41   7   43.96
>990127   4   52.86  15   34.94
>990406  32   96.77  10   36.48
>990427   5   27.46  21   39.01
>990607   7   30.91   6   25.44
>990706  14   60.89  22   41.88
>990805  87  221.00
>
>The 171 day rally ending on 07/07/1998 gained 500% on its
>own.  The worst drawdown was early on, beginning on
>05/02/1996, lasting 48 days and dropping 54% from high to
>low.  All other drawdowns were less than 45% from the high swing
>to low.  The latest up-leg has shown an increase of +221%
>in the past 87 trading days, beginning on 08/05/1999, with
>less than a 25% drawdown.
>
>Conclusion: holding from YHOO's open a 55% trailing stop
>would have kept you in the game.  Holding from 5 months
>after the IPO, a 45% trailing stop would have done the job.
>Given the gain, it would have been worth it, but it is
>easy to see how a lot of investors were shaken out over
>the course of the past few years.

Attachment Converted: "f:\eudora\attach\YAHOO.xls"