Re: Fibonacci History

Zaitzeff wrote:

> It's a good thing our friend Harley didn't take math in school or use
> it in
> real life. I.e.,

Yes I horsed around in high school, but I made up for in college with a
degree in math.

>    I think the Fib series probably starts out as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5 .. .
> etc.
> rather than his arbitrary  - "For example 0, 1, 1, 3, 5, 8,... is
> defined to
> be the fibonacci sequence."

Yes you are correct that was a typo on my part. Thank yo for pointing
that out.

> And his requirements for exactitude are
> misleading, rather than using what is "good enough for all practical
> purposes," as my high school physics teacher used to say.

Then you missed the whole point. Mathematics is exact. Fibonacci is
math. Therefore Fibonacci is exact. Now if I tell you I use the
Fibonacci Ratios to trade with am I telling you the whole truth. Neal
said it earlier. It is 'almost Fibonacci' that is being used for
trading. Just like everyone says you need to use a stop. What does that
mean? Until someone takes you off to the side and tells what it really
means, you are left floating on the surface of trading.

This is a relative question, but do you thing that trading falls into
that category of 'Practical purpose'? Not a question that needs to be
answered.
And I'll leave your "High School" teacher alone.

> (I guess Al Unger
> has also pointed out the use and application of the ratios limit
> rather than
> the series itself.)

I was trying to make a point that I hope many understood. I know Neal
did.

> But then, I was a tennis bum in school and probably won't
> learn any better.  Larry Z.  Seattle.

Yes you are learning, you are learning right now.
It is when you stop learning is when you need to make the comparison of
learning better.

Harley