Re: GEN - Computers, Basics, Beginners

Bbbazusa@xxxxxxx wrote:

> 2.  To make this an educational Thank you note, because it would take forever
> to thank all, I would like someone maybe for the benefit of other new traders
> who do not like me have a clue about computers and software, to make some
> recommendations.
> 4.  When using Real Time say with BMI feed and TradeStation
> - should one have just a dedicated computer with no other programs on?

Yes. The data feed and demands of the TS program will keep even very fast
machines like yours completely busy. You need to dedicate one machine per
realtime job.

> - how often should the computer be switched off, the hard
> drive have 'defrag' and "scandisk" run

Each day, after your daily data collection is done, say around 8:30pm ET or
so, you should close everything on your computer, exit windows, and run
scandisk, then do a complete system backup. This means everything on the
disk. You should keep a rolling backup of each daily backup for one week.
On Sundays in the day before the evening sessions start, you should run
Spinrite. This weekly check will allow you to detect disk failures so you
can replace the disk in your computer before it fails and before you lose
any data. Spinrite is available from Gibson Research. The first time you
begin to find disk problems you should start considering replacing your
drive. Drives do wear out. Gibson Research: 800-736-0637

> - in the software area, are there programs that should be
> periodically run to maintain the health of the harddrive and all the software
> running together, i.e. what preventive maintenance should the clueless
> computer trader be doing?

Same as above. Doing a daily shutdown is very important for recovering
lost resources. W95 may be somewhat better at garbage collection than
W31 or W311 but I'd still do it.

> - is there a place for Norton Utilities in all of this?, or some
> other software program?

Norton Disk Doctor is sometimes better than scandisk or chkdsk in fixing
file system problems. Unless TS crashes, you should NEVER get file system
problems. I would not rely on the surface testing features of either; use
Spinrite instead. If you are getting spontaneous file system problems, then
it is very likely you have a much more serious disk failure pending.

> - I have Pentium/166/3GB hard/64 Ram/Windows
> 95/TradeStation/BMI?
> 5.  Please reply for the educational benefit of the clueless computer mob who
> realize that having an edge in trading means using the computer effectively -
> unless you are a good old fashioned paper chartist.
> Edgar  Bbbazusa@xxxxxxx

A Word on the Small Machines...

Computers these days seem like ash trays. You hope nobody has to use
them too much! (A remark I first heard made in relation to VAX machines.)

We are incredibly fortunate to have these small machines. In my view we
stand on the shoulders of giants an I'm grateful for that. But like any
sophisticated, high leverage instrument, one must have the proper respect
for them and the job they do.

The computer is to the trader as the rifle is to the soldier. It's hard
to do our job without them, like them or not. We must keep them clean and
in good working order, or they may fail us when we need them most,
typically in the middle of a fire fight. This means that unless you have
a technician in your back pocket, the compleat trader needs to be able
to field strip, clean, and fix his weapon/tool himself. As a trader who
relies on your computer, you reduce your risk by increasing your
knowledge of your machine.

Happy hunting...Phil