Re: GEN - Computers, Basics, Beginners

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: GEN - Computers, Basics, Beginners
  • From: BMYNkkkkkkkkkkk
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 17:43:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I use BMI with TS and would be happy to offer the following observations.

Yes , I think you should have a dedicated computer if you are trading for
real using tick data , a crash on another program while running TS will lead
to lost data. Also TS is CPU intensive , again you can lose ticks if you
routinely open and close other programs. If you are going to lunch etc get
into the habit of closing charting when not in use, it helps, also reduces
probability of a crash.
I have found a change from windows 95A to windows 95B with the FAT 32 files a
big improvement , I find a daily defrag is no longer necessary, in fact with
a 300 mb tick file it has not fragmented in 3 weeks, the old version was 6%
fragmented at the end of each day. But I still do a daily scandisk.  I switch
off the machine only on Saturdays .
My experiences has suggested keep it simple in terms of preventative medicine
, I no longer use Norton utilities which i own , though its defrag is a lot
better than MSFT's. Nor do i have anything running in the background. Less is
better in my book. I even have a TPport card that you should consider that I
have uninstalled due to problems. the best way IMHO to get the system to run
is get a clean copy of TS installed on a clean WIN 95 ( or NT if you like)
and keep it that way.
The only thing i would add is a Jazz drive for back up if you have a large
tick file due to speed and convience of using explorer ( not the browser)
although I have a scsi adapter. And for those ineviatble power cuts and brown
outs ( the latter is worse for many) get a UPS such as APC , you won't regret
it.

Regards
Brian