Re: Off Topic CPU usage

If you have XP Pro then do the following.  If you have XP home I can't
help you.

How about opening the task manager by hitting CTRL ALT and DEL all
together.  Then on the processes tab choose View then choose
Select Columns and be sure you have Mem Usage and Peak Mem Usage
added.  Then sort those columns by clicking on the name at the top
once or more likely click twice.  This will show you which process is
using the CPU excessively.  If you can't figure it out then google the
process name.  I doubt the HP driver is the problem but it could be if
it is the wrong one or something.  You can get new drivers from HP at
their site.  Also check the Event viewer.  Go to start-control
panel-Administrative tools then choose event viewer then applications
and see if you are getting warnings.  You may want to check the System
list also.  It is where Applications is listed.  Double click any
warning for info.  That should get you started.

There are lots of Windows XP tweaks and tips and lots of guys post on
the net.  Use google to find them.  XP Pro Tweaks works well.  They
vary a lot because some guys are gamers... and there needs are different
than our are.  Start with this one if you like.

Jimmy

hi list.
on one of my computers (Win XP SP2)  my CPU is running 100% all the
time, with no programs running. so it is extremely slow.  An HP printer,
its driver, has caused considerable problems. The CPU usage persists
despite complete removal of the printer programs.  I have used AVG and
CCleaner besides removing several other programs but to no avail.
can someone please help me with this rather daunting problem.

also several months ago, someone posted a good recipe list of how to
tweak windows XP.  it would be wonderful if that could be posted again.
thanks so much for any help.
Dr. Greg H