Off Topic CPU usage

hi list.
on one of my computers (Win XP SP2) my CPU is running 100% all the time, with no programs running. so it is extremely slow. An HP printer, its driver, has caused considerable problems. The CPU usage persists despite complete removal of the printer programs. I have used AVG and CCleaner besides removing several other programs but to no avail.
can someone please help me with this rather daunting problem.

also several months ago, someone posted a good recipe list of how to tweak windows XP. it would be wonderful if that could be posted again.
thanks so much for any help.
Dr. Greg H